Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 17, 2005, 6:21 PM   #1

I've been seriously considering buying the Canon 17-85 EFS IS USM lens. The lens typically goes for $599 in some of the more credible outlets B&H, Adorama, etc. I can get it at Amazon for $569, less a $30 discount for using the Amazon credit card. No shipping, no tax = $539. That's a really big discount over the $599 plus tax to get it at a NYC store.
So, the question is . . . how often do lens prices fluctuate? If I hold off for a few weeks, will I find it considerably cheaper. Cameras and other electronics start to discount as soon as you buy them, so it is always a fair bet that several weeks after you buy it, the price has gone down. Does this hold true for lenses?
GovtLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2005, 8:07 PM   #2

Not nearly as much as other electronics...lenses don't usually come down in price very quickly at all. The only way you may get lucky is finding coupons and stuff online. I got my 17-85 from Dell for $519 shipped because they had it on sale for like $579 and I found a coupon for $50 off and another coupon for 2% off if I used my Dell charge account.

Chances are, the price you found is about as low as you'll get
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 8:32 PM   #3

After getting advice from this board, that getting the lens now will be no cheaper than a few weeks from now, I went to Amazon to place the order. You must add the item to your cart to see the price. I added it to the cart and got the following message:

Important Message
Please note that the price of Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 Image Stabilized USM SLR Lens for EOS 20D & Digital Rebel Cameras has increased from $569.99 to $589.99 since you placed it in your Shopping Cart. Items in your cart will always reflect the most recent price displayed on their product detail pages.

WOW! Never, ever thought the price would actually go up. Pretty amazing, aint it?
GovtLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote