Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 19, 2005, 6:50 PM   #1

Ok so I finally made the decision and I am going to buy the Canon 75-300 f/4.0-5.6 IS USM EF Lens for my rebel. I am just learning and starting out with photography but need a good zoom lens. Most of my pics are action and many indoors in at my daughters gymnastics. I am also signed up for a photo class this fall to learn more then just automatic.

I went to three different stores today and none had the above lens. Where is the best place to get it online? If I get it and don't like it do they let you return a lens?

I really wanted to find someplace local to go and try a lense out first but guess that isn't going to happen.

Thanks for the help.

CC
cc101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2005, 7:13 PM   #2

I would strongly encourage you to get the Canon 70-200 L f4 USM over the 75-300 IS. I hope you'll seriously consider this alternative; it really is in your best interest.
fstopjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 7:25 PM   #3

Hi,

Thanks for the recommendation. Can you give me a few reasons so I can understand the differences. Sorry just so new to all this and I don't want to make a $500+ mistake.

Thanks

CC
Old Aug 19, 2005, 7:29 PM   #4

Ok sorry ...I did see this one when doing searches and reading reviews. I think the main reason I didn't choose it was it there were comments about the no image stabilization. So I was worried taking pictures from the bleachers it would be better to have the stabilization? wrong?

Thanks

CC
Old Aug 19, 2005, 9:02 PM   #5

Image stabilization will help with camera shake, but it does nothing to freeze the action of your subject. I would agree with fstopjojo the 70-200mm f/4 is a better choice. and if your worried about camera shake invest in a monopod. you can get a really good Manfrotto for about $50 and plenty easy to use from the bleachers. I'm not sure what your budget is but if you can I would also pick up a canon 50mm f1.8 they run around $75 to $80 and for low light in the gyms you can't beat it. I use mine for my daughters gymnastics and when I need a little more range I also have an 85mm f/1.8. they run about $300 to $350. Both have served me well for the gymnastics shots. As far as online place to shop I would recomend b&hphoto.com, good prices and very reputable.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 10:17 PM   #6

The 75-300IS isn't one of Canon's gems. I would get the Sigma 70-300 APO DO (non-IS) for $200 before the Canon one. But the bottom line is to invest in good glass, and the 70-200L f4 is a good place to start. It's a lens that will deliver fantastic image quality and will also retain its overall resale value quite well if you want to someday get one of its faster f2.8 siblings. The Sigma 70-200 f2.8 DG is about $725 if you can afford that. But research lenses online before you buy. You'll find the Sigma 70-200 and Canon f4 are very good lenses.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 3:37 AM   #7
Super Moderator

i agree 100% with all of the above advice... the simple fact is, the 75-300 IS is not very good optically and the image stabilization isn't much of a help in action shots.. better now to spend a little extra money, than to regret a purchase in the future.. as they say GOOD lenses last a lifetime..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 3:29 PM   #8

I have about $600-700 to spend. Now you have me all confused again but in a good way.

So with the canon 50mm f1.8are you able to get the close up shots? I know you said it was good in the light in a gym. Would it be better to go with the 85mmto start?

So if you were me would you get one of the ones above and the 70-200mm f/4 and then when I can pick up the monopod?

I will check out b&hphoto but are most places on line buy and your stuck with it even if you don't like it? Or if anyone knows of a good retail store in Massachusetts it would be appreciated..don't mind driving to try them out.

Thanks

CC who will someday understand all this.

*anyone know a basic simple to understand book to read before my classes?

Old Aug 21, 2005, 3:12 AM   #9

cc101 wrote:
Quote:
I have about $600-700 to spend. Now you have me all confused again but in a good way.

So with the canon 50mm f1.8are you able to get the close up shots? I know you said it was good in the light in a gym. Would it be better to go with the 85mmto start?

So if you were me would you get one of the ones above and the 70-200mm f/4 and then when I can pick up the monopod?

I will check out b&hphoto but are most places on line buy and your stuck with it even if you don't like it? Or if anyone knows of a good retail store in Massachusetts it would be appreciated..don't mind driving to try them out.

Thanks

CC who will someday understand all this.

*anyone know a basic simple to understand book to read before my classes?

See this site and spend some time reading it: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Default.aspx

The Canon 50 f1.8 and 70-200 f4 are good lenses to start with. If you could add the Sigma 18-50 f2.8, that would be a nice 3 lens set up.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 6:45 AM   #10

I agree with fstopjojo again here the 50mm and the 70-200mm are good to start with. I know at my daughters gymnastics the gyms are usually not huge places, and the 70-200 is sometimes a bit to long depending on where she is at. The 18-50mm fstopjojo suggested might even be a better third lens than the 85mm, although not quite as fast, but plenty fast enough. I have a 24-70mm f/2.8. Once you shoot with the two lenses for a while you will have a better idea where to go next.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote