Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 25, 2005, 4:00 PM   #11

...because in all liklihood you couldn't either affordor hand-hold one!

Can you imagine how heavy one of those would be?
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 6:10 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
...because in all liklihood you couldn't either affordor hand-hold one!

Can you imagine how heavy one of those would be?

nope, don't even want to imagine.....
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 4:56 AM   #13

I´d rather think of affordable ISO 6400 without noise ....

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Wolfie
wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 6:18 AM   #14

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/index....ame=gmchappell

I'm just wondering.... is this a generally acceptable level for wedding photography in the USA ?

I'm not intending any offense at all, just like to get a feel of peoples perceptions from country to country.
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 8:11 AM   #15

Not for someone wanting to spend big bucks. I'm strictly small time for someone simply wanting a person who's willing to record the evening and does notwant to spend huge dollars. One of the great things about the internet is someone with a service to offer can nowshow what is or is not available- it's all out there for people like yourself to see and make their ownjudgement. People cansee anddecide whether or not to use one person or another.For anyone who's got the moneyand can afford anything there's always the option of using photographers who choose to advertise in places likehere:

http://www.pictage.com

Not everyone has or wants to spend$25,000+ on a wedding. Some will spend $5,000+ just on pictures. For those who do, I would not be an option and I know that. Believe me, that headache is the last thing I need. If everyone taking wedding pictures today was up front with what they offeredyou wouldn't read so many horror stories about what people paid for and received.

Old Aug 26, 2005, 8:39 AM   #16

Greg,

Thanks for the response there. I was generally a littleconfused with the photos in your site purely because the formal poses were missing. I was wondering if Americans generally on the whole preferred this or indeed it was the norm. Over this side of the water there is a set routine that is expected that includes Bride and Groom, Bride/Groom and Parents, then expanding including bridesmaids, Best Man and so on so on... This is after the ceremony. Church shots and sometimes register signing are almost always often required. Plus whatever romantic special extras and touchesthat can be added in. (for example arrivals, kisses, flower throwing, toast, cake cutting). They can be asked for, but the after dinner party shots are not really part of the shoot, but added in secondly to the formal photographs which will be bound together in a nice album as I've said separately.

Ok so anyway things are basically the same over there.

WOW 5000+ plus for photographs..... Thats not a bad pay day considering....

Take care

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 12:27 PM   #17

The one thing I've found over the years there are many ceremonies, especially in the smaller typeweddings like I do, that do not follow the traditional sense of what you expect a wedding to be. I try and follow the same protocal as far as traditional shots but in some cases it's not possible. I've had everything from Brides not showing up until after the wedding was supposed to start- meaning many of the pre-wedding shots never happen, to entire families not showing up because they did not want their daughter/son to marry the person they were marrying! The later was the case in the latest one I shot weekend before last. The brides mother and father did not attend and only a small number of the rest of the family did. The only images you usually see online are obviously not from those type ceremonies, but I'd be willing to bet today there is agood percentage of weddings you'd have a hard time classifying as "traditional".

In the case of the Calvin-O'Hara wedding folder, they told me during the reception that I had taken all the photos they wanted and I could leave, so there are no photos of the bride and grooms exit. I found out later it never even happened- they just stayed around and helped clean up after everyone had left.

When I first started setting up my page I thought for while about how I wanted to present what I did- one of the options was just to do a "portfolio" of the best images from several weddings which would have allowed me to compilea "complete" set of images from pre-ceremoney, to ceremony to reception. I decided in the end to just post3-4 entireweddings to give anyone interested an idea of what I did "for better or for worse".

A friend of mine recently had some formal portraits of their children made- both outdoor and studio shots (not by me, but through a local professional studio). By the time they had purchased everything from proofs to framing they had spent over $3,000. From what I've seen in attending bridal shows locally, $2,000 to $2,500 seems to be a rather pedestrian starting point with most pros who shoot weddings for a living (obviously me not included)and insome cases, at those prices,that's just for them to show up and take the pictures- no proof book. You can buy a package that includes prints... for a priceTake a look at just a couple here locally I pulled in http://www.mydallaswedding.com:

http://www.yasinphoto.com/weddingpackages.pdf

http://www.kjimages.com/weddingpackages.pdf