Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 14, 2005, 11:14 AM   #11

Well, you'll get most of the zoom. The field of view changes less the further out you go (in mm of focal length), so the difference between between a 17mm focal length and 28mm is actually quite large and noticeable. The difference from 200-300, while noticeable is much less of a change, even though in mm of focal length it is a large difference.

I'd say in most indoor gym situations, you probably won't miss that last 100mm, most of your shots will probably be in the 80-150mm range, depending on how close you like to zero in.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 11:29 AM   #12

G35Guy is right. Also, If 200mm is not enough for you, you can add a 1.4X teleconverter on the Sigma lens, but it will make the lens shoot at f4 instead of f2.8...the TCmay not get your desired results for indoor shooting though (give it a try atleast)...but it'll work great for outdoors.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 11:35 AM   #13

UPS just delivered my Sigma 70-200 DG 2.8 a couple hours ago. Wow, I am impressed. This lens is built very solidly. It'll take some time getting used to the weight, but this thing is great. And, f2.8 really does make a difference. Highly recommended.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 3:24 PM   #14

G35Guy wrote:
Quote:
UPS just delivered my Sigma 70-200 DG 2.8 a couple hours ago.
Quote:
Quote:
Highly recommended.
Highly recommended after only "a couple hours of use"? :?

Don't worry I'm just yankin' your chain :blah:- it is a great lens - I have one and love it.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 3:31 PM   #15

:blah:

Indeed, only a couple hours. It doesn't take long or too many shots to see that this lens takes very good pictures and that the HSM is pretty much identical to Canon's wonderful USM.

My judgement is based on about 30 pictures taken mostly indoors of everything from my dog to wine bottles.

I will reiterate though that this thing is heavy! Almost 1300 grams or almost 3 pounds.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 3:34 PM   #16

I have a question for you, since you own one. I am using a RebelXT...do you know if there is an issue with bending the mount with such a heavy lens? Since many of my shoots will be handheld, do I need to worry about that? How much weight can the XT support?
Old Sep 14, 2005, 3:36 PM   #17

I hadn't thought about the weight! That is a good question!
chanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 3:43 PM   #18

I think I asked a similar question about stress on the mount when I originally bought the lens for a 300d (I now use it on a 20d). The response I got back were basically 'don't wory - while the body may be plastic, the mounting plate is metal and securely fastened' - i never had a problem carrying it around on my 300d - I'm sure the 350 is equally capable. The only suggestion is you should use the tripod collar rather than the camera itself when you use a tripod or monopod so weight is better distributed.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 3:46 PM   #19

When you get to this kind of pro level lenses the weight is born by the lens not the camera.

The Sigma 70-200F2.8 comes with a tripod collar (as do all Sigma EX that need it, & a case), and it mounts to a tripod using this, the camera just hangs on to the lens.

If you are shooting handheld, one hand holds up the lens and holds the weight of the camera/lens combination, the other hand operates all the buttons.
It is not just the weight, but the balance point as well:idea: .

Peter.

G35Guy wrote:
Quote:
I have a question for you, since you own one. I am using a RebelXT...do you know if there is an issue with bending the mount with such a heavy lens? Since many of my shoots will be handheld, do I need to worry about that? How much weight can the XT support?
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 3:50 PM   #20
NHL

Guys

Use a 120-300 f/2.8 for a week... and the 70-200 f/2.8 weights like a baby! :G
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote