Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 25, 2005, 12:06 PM   #1

I recently bought the Canon Rebel XT package and 1 extra lens EF75-300mm. My choice was just a shot in the dark! I will be using the camera primarily for sporting events--baseball, softball, volleyball, cross country and still shots. Any suggestions on moderately priced lenses to meet these needs?
chanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2005, 3:55 PM   #2

Considering that you already got the 75-300, there isn't much else to suggest. The thing with the 75-300 is that you need lots of light. But if you can, I'd suggest returning that lens and getting the sigma 70-300 APO macro. It's just a better lens overall.

If you shoot indoor sports, then you might be in trouble. ... You'll have to spend more money for a fast long zoom like the (canon or sigma) 70-200 f/2.8 . Or if you think you can handle one focal length, get a tele prime.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 5:09 PM   #3

It sounds like I should be okay using the 75-300 for my outdoor shots. What other options would you suggest for indoor (gym) and for zoom capabilities(indoors and outdoors)? The 70-200 f/2.8 would be wonderful but is definitely out of my price range at this time. Probably the max that I can spend is the $500 range. Are there any options?
Old Aug 25, 2005, 6:02 PM   #4

Unfortunately, I don't think you can get any fast tele zooms with only 500. Again, if you can (since you say it's a recent purchase), I'd return the 75-300, and save save save! If you are planning to get a tele zoom for indoor and outdoor use, it's better just to have one to do both jobs, right? You'd just have to live out in agony for a wee bit...

But if you are really desperate, one way is the Canon 100mm f/2 prime (i think something like $350). But again, not very versatile with one focal length.

Another route is using a powerful flash. This may or may not work depending on how far you are from the action and if you are even allowed to use flashes. You can get the sigma 500DG. Powerful, yet (relatively) cheap.

But it sounds like a lot of sports you want to do is (usually) outdoors, so maybe you can just hang on to the 75-300 for a bit and save up. There shouldn't be many of those horrifying moments where you'd fall on your knees screaming out, "DAMN YOU FOR NOT BEING f/2.8!!!!":evil:

BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 1:25 PM   #5

Like BOY+ said - TAKE IT BACK. It ain't gonna work - at least indoors.

You have to get light in there FAST in order to get the shot - especially action shots.

You will experience "buyers remorse" very quickly. Not a pretty condition !!
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 10:08 AM   #6

Wow, I would love the lens you suggest but it's not in the budget this year.l I adjusted the ISO to 1600 and had better shots as far as the light is concerned but still had some blur (indoor volleyball). Is there any lens that would improve this at all that is not horribly expensive? Or can you suggest another adjustment on the camera that I can try? I am totally new to this since I have only had point and shoot cameras in the past.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 11:10 AM   #7

Indoor gyms are usually not well lit.
Your problem as the previous postes have mentioned it the lack of light gathering ability.
You are already at the max ISO for the RebelXT.

So you only have 3 options (most mentioned by Boy+ :-) )
- use a powerfull flash(may not be permitted)
- increase the ISO (would need a different camera)
- use faster lenses (expensive)

You could get the Canon EF 100 F2.0 USM for around 600$us, it is very fast lens but not so long. You would need to use that "foot zoom" feature to get close. :blah: Which may or may not be possible depending on the facility the event is in.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 11:18 AM   #8
NHL

... Only problem is fast lens (and long) have very narrow DOF for team sport! :O

Ever wonder why they invented thoses powerful ceiling strobes? :lol: :-) :G
http://www.daveblackphotography.com/...a-lighting.htm
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 8:34 AM   #9

I was in a similar situation. I had a Canon 75-300 IS USM lens. I came to realize I needed f2.8. So I sold my Canon for $350 then purchased a slightly used Sigma 70-200 EX APO f2.8 via ebay for $550 shipped.

In your case, since you have $500 to spend, you can either get the same used lens I got, or return/sell your Canon and get the Sigma 70-200 EX DG APO f2.8 brand new for about $750 from sigma4less.com. "DG" is the new version of this lens.

I only had $200 to spend for my upgrade, so I opted for the used lens...and boy what an upgrade it was!!!
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 11:31 AM   #10

:?So, are you saying that with the Sigma 70-200 EX DG APO f2.8 I will still get the zoom that I have with the 75-300 but gain the speed I need? I am sorry but I don't understand all of the numbers etc. and how they relate to what I need. Maybe with time I will gain half the knowledge that everyone else has displayed in these postings. Can anyone refer me to an online guide that explains it all??!!

Please excuse my ignorance and thanks for all the help!!