Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 27, 2005, 5:41 PM   #1

I have an Rebel XT and need a good portrait lens. I am considering a Canon F85, but don't the working distance nor how to calculate working distance. I have limited space and can, at the most get 9 feet between subject and camera. Is this enough distance for a head and sholder shot? Full length? If the F85 is too long for my situation how about the Tamron 28-75?

thanks

JoeT
JoeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2005, 12:06 AM   #2

I HAD A SIMILAR QUESTION, AND HERE IS WHAT I GOT.
I HOPE IT HELPS!

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=65
r00022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 1:14 PM   #3

Thanks for the referral. Think I might buy the same two lens; as soon as wife turns loose some more money.

Say, how far away do you think you can focus a head and sholder shot with the 85mm and a 350d/20d?

thanks, Joe T

Old Aug 28, 2005, 6:16 PM   #4

This is a guess (because I've been trying to play around with the window scale and an old film SLR with a 135mm lens). The 35mm equiv on the dSLR for the 85mm is 136mm. Anyway, I think the distance you have to be away from someone to take a shoulder & head portrait is somewhere around 3 meters away (around 9.5 feet). A body shot is much much longer... Something like ~ 7 meters.... So don't expect to do typical full body shots indoors...

It's not very accurate because it depends on you what you prefer as shoulder & head (i.e. do you like to BARELY show the shoulders?). In my case, I generally like to include the top portion of a person's chest. So I would give a tolerance level of about... 0.5 meters or so... (about 1.5 feet).

If you're doing typical portraits, where you just take a a picture of a person anywhere, you might feel a little restricted with the 85mm, especially indoors (unless if it's something spacy like a gym). My best suggestion is to try a lens in a store, if you can, and maybe bring someone else like your wife to get a feeling for the distance.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 11:11 PM   #5

Thanks for the info on the 85mm lens. Would work on the head and shoulder shot, but not on the full length. So, I again change plans; but, I think you saved me from spending some money that might be better spent elsewhere.

Joe T