Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 28, 2005, 2:40 PM   #1

Hi All,

I am just wondering if this is a good lens for the price $149. I am not a pro and I'm not looking to buy an L Lens right now. This lens will be used for mostly just travelling stuff.

Thanks!

rally123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2005, 3:16 PM   #2

I'd say a better buy would be the 28-135 IS lens with image stabilization. A little longer reach and a much better lens for not much more money. I have one and it is on my 20D as a walk-around lens most of the time. You can pick up a good used one for about $330.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 6:58 PM   #3

You're talking about the 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 II usm, right? There are two models, and are very very different in quality. The good one (model II) is definitely worth the money. The optics are very similiar to the 28-135 IS.. The main difference is if you think you'll need the IS (which what makes the lens twice as much as the 28-105). Another thing to consider is the weight: the 28-105 is 165 grams lighter.

But the lens is definitely worth it... ring usm, similiar optics as the 28-135 (from pics I would say it's only slightly less sharper than the 28-135), distance scale, uses 58mm filters so the B + W MRC filter for it will be relatively cheap.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 12:30 AM   #4

Hi Weather and BoyC, thanks for the replies.

Actually I am not sure which one the lens is. Check out this link from costco.com http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...erPath=79*3264*

I just happened to see this at costco and I am wondering if its a good lens for regular walking lens. I thought I should consider given the price and more reach compared to the stock lens.

rally123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 12:57 AM   #5

EWWW

That's DEFINITELY NOT THE ONE....

You have to stay away from that one at all costs!

here's the good one:

http://www.canon.com.hk/En/Product/P...product_id=308

The price for it at bhphoto.com is $229 (USA warrenty)

Btw the price for the one that you were looking at is $139 at bhphoto... so even if you wanted it (which you shouldn't), it's cheaper there...
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote