Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 30, 2005, 5:50 AM   #1

re: Close up Lens/Diopter versus Extension Tubes

I love my Rebel XT, and My Canon 24-85mm Lens, B+W MRC 67mm UV filter+ ew73 hood.

I am a mere mortal hobby photographer. I occasionally need to take macro shots, a close up of flowers, damage to my property, jewelry, silver, etc. I am not in the market for a full macro lens because I neither want to pay for it, carry it, and if I can avoid it I would like to leave the 24-85mm on the XT close to forever to keep dust of the sensor.

This leaves a preference for Close up Lens/Diopters.

******I am looking for recomendations. ****************

I understand that multi element is better. I suspect I need something in the 4 to 10x range. Probably at least 5x. As noted above my lens takes 67mm screw on. I saw B+W but these are 4x single element I believe.

Lastly, how hard is it clean the sensor if I do take the lens off. I know the lens cleaning mode/mirror lock up and you get a plastic air bulb, invert the camera etc.????
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2005, 8:31 AM   #2

I think your a little over anxious regarding dust and your sensor. Firstly your macro shots will be taken indoors I take it, so there wont be mudor sand flying around. Secondly your shutter is covering the sensor anyway when you take the lens off. Thirdly it doest matter if there is a bit of dust on your sensor. It will need to be fairly bad to notice. And lastly I dont understand the fuss people have over their sensors. If you really must clean your sensors (and most dont need too), just blow it out with a bulb blower. If you need to take that piece of chewing gum that has mysteriously attached itself to the sensor - take a cotton bud - wrap a lens paper around it and fix with a small elastic band. Spray with a little lens solution and gently wipe. Its no big deal. You are not cleaning the sensor itself, but a piece of glass that covers it. It is not made of ice and it will not break. Of course dont push hard. Just wipe the surface till the solution evaporates. Its designed to not smear thats why its used for lenses. Don't blow out the chamber, instead close the shutter, and keep your chewing gum in your mouth next time.

I change lenses outdoors on average 40 times daily...... I've cleaned my sensor twice in two years. There is some dust on my sensor now but it only shows up in a very few shots and shooting conditions. Am I bothered by it. Nah. Why would I be the photographs are what counts not the little friends that live inside your camera. :-)

A dedicated macro lens will do the job better, next the extension tubes. Then Close up Lens/Diopter.
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 7:20 PM   #3

Thank you. Any specefic suggestion for close up lens adapters and Tubes.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 2:30 AM   #4

Maybe someone else can help out here, its not really my area.
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2005, 6:14 AM   #5
NHL

FYI - http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=65

and also: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=59879&forum_id=65
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 12:28 AM   #6

Thanx. I read all the links. If I want simple it seems Pentax makes 3 dual element 67mm, but I could not find info on the amount of Diaopter they offer.

B+W seems to make a very inexpensive single element 5x/NL5 for around $45 dollars, kind of hard to go wrong.

Am I wrong to divide my current min. focousing distance on my 24-85mm canon which is around 16 inchs by 5, which would give me about a 3.3 inch Field of view/focousing distance.

Hoya and tiffen too, but I assume there worse.

The Canon and Nikon seem nice but would require step up/down rings. The canon is 250d is 4x I believe...

Old Sep 12, 2005, 5:56 PM   #7

I recall looking at Pentax diopters and deciding that the two offered were weaker than I wanted (can't recall details) so I would suggest adapters and two elements. I really hated the results with one element diopters and the chromatic abheration they added. I chose the Kenko tube set and do not regret it but each will have their own opinions.

I agree with the statements about sensor cleaning being overstated as a problem. I ahve blown mine off a couple times and frequently fix small spots when shooting wide angle at f/22 but agree that it is not necessary to scrub that thing daily as you hear some people seem to think.

Doug

dougsmit is offline   Reply With Quote