Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 30, 2005, 8:43 PM   #1

ok... i'm looking at getting the 300d, but i don't know what lens to get. I would likea zoom lens, but i don't know if that's the best option. I don't really want to get the kit lens, because i wouldn't use it that long. It seems like a waste of money. I really like the idea of the 70-300mm size, but is that good for an everyday carry-around lens? Right now I have the S1-IS, which i love the zoom and stuff, but i have outgrown the camera and now i want a dslr. So i like the zoom idea, and i take a lot of different varieties of pictures. I take some soccer pictures, some bird pictures, and other random pictures like that. I would say that the most I would like to put about 200 bucks into it, and i don't have any clue what to look at. i've read a lot of people like the sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro lens, so i guess my question is, would this be a good lens for my only lens? Or is it too much lens to be carrying around for everyday use? Thanks...
jdprudich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2005, 10:30 PM   #2

jdprudich wrote:
Quote:
ok... i'm looking at getting the 300d, but i don't know what lens to get. I would likea zoom lens, but i don't know if that's the best option. I don't really want to get the kit lens, because i wouldn't use it that long. It seems like a waste of money. I really like the idea of the 70-300mm size, but is that good for an everyday carry-around lens? Right now I have the S1-IS, which i love the zoom and stuff, but i have outgrown the camera and now i want a dslr. So i like the zoom idea, and i take a lot of different varieties of pictures. I take some soccer pictures, some bird pictures, and other random pictures like that. I would say that the most I would like to put about 200 bucks into it, and i don't have any clue what to look at. i've read a lot of people like the sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro lens, so i guess my question is, would this be a good lens for my only lens? Or is it too much lens to be carrying around for everyday use? Thanks...

As a current Rebel and future Rebel XT owner. Get the kits lens. Why? Because it's the cheapest wideangle lens you'll ever find. It's not great quality, but at least worthy of 4x6 prints and 5x7 prints.

Also, you'll need that lesser zoom range because (I also own a 70-300 ProMaster/Tamron manufactured lens) 70-300mm zooms aren't wideangle at all... you need that 18-55mm reach.

And remember, take all these numbers and multiply by 1.6X. It's the crop factor on the Rebel, Rebel XT, and 20D cameras. Meaning... that 70-300mm is really a 112mm to 480mm zoom lens. =o)

So get the kit lens... it's acceptable. Try to stop it down to F8, and it's relatively sharp. Do the same in harsh lighting with the Sigma 70-300 DG 1:2 Macro as well, it's a good consumer level starter lens.

After you outgrow those get a Canon L series 70-200mmL lens and a teleconvertor and be REALLY happy.

This seems to be the upgrade path of almost every beginning Canon users that I've seen for years now. =o)

Welcome to our club...

If you have any questions, just reply here, or pm me. =o)

Good luck. OH, and get the Sigma lens at http://www.sigma4less.com VERY reputable and the BEST Sigma prices online. Also BHphoto and Buydig are all great places to buy from.

Need extra batteries? Get them at Sterlingtek.com I've order from all these places and can recommend them HIGHLY.

Last but not least... best, fastest, cards for the XT are available at Zipzoomfly.com for 62.00 dollars for a 1 GIG Kingston Pro Elite CF Card. =o)

Good luck!!

-tlmiller10 aka Tim Miller

Here's my gallery if you want to see the Tamron 70-300mm 1:2 Macro lens in action and the kit lens as well. http://www.iciclelanding.com/tmp
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 11:04 PM   #3

I would highly recommend the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG MACRO.Its cheap and the best Value for money for me
gaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 11:41 PM   #4
Super Moderator

yea... get the kit lens.. it is surprisingly sharp if stopped down a bit.. its not built that great, but who cares, its 100$!!

and get the sigma 70-300 APO Super Macro II, its a great lens for the price..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:03 AM   #5

http://www.sigma4less.com/sess/utn;j...055200KCA%3D29

Well, what if I got this route? It comes with the smaller lens and the bigger lens and the money for it is not that bad. Do you think those lenses would be a good option for me.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:06 AM   #6
NHL

jdprudich wrote:
Quote:
... Do you think those lenses would be a good option for me.
No BAD!!!

Stick with what was recommended
i.e. the kit lens for the wide and the Sigma 75-300 APO DG... with the RED ring

Actually if you want anything in the 70-300 range Sigma has them all cover!
o 70-300 DG APO ~ $200 (extremely good value)
o 100-300 f/4 EX ~ $760 (no other zoom are sharper in this range - period!)
o 120-300 f/2.8 EX ~ $2000 (Yeap cost more than any 'L' zoom, but my favorite)
-> the last two are of the professional EX grade and extremely fast in ultrasonic autofocus with full-time manual overide: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=11
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 1:37 PM   #7

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=CN28105

what about this lens... i like the zoom of this one as opposed to just a regular lens, but it's not quite a zoom lens... is it a good quality lens?
Old Aug 31, 2005, 1:39 PM   #8

jdprudich wrote:
Quote:
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=CN28105

what about this lens... i like the zoom of this one as opposed to just a regular lens, but it's not quite a zoom lens... is it a good quality lens?
Dude... not to be rude or anything cause that's so NOT who I am.

Listen to us... we've made these decisions a hundred times for people... we've bought these lenses or lenses like them. We know of what we speak...

Best combo right now, is the Kit Lens 18-55 (YOU NEED THAT WIDE ANGLE, trust me!) and a Sigma 70-300 DG 1:2 Macro with the RED RED RED! Ring... =o)

Trust us...

-tlmiller10
Old Aug 31, 2005, 1:58 PM   #9

Alrite sorry... i just want the best for the money... so if you guys say for me to get the kit lens, i'll get the kit lens... being in college, i don't have a lot of money to be throwing around... but thanks for your help.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 2:03 PM   #10

jdprudich wrote:
Quote:
Alrite sorry... i just want the best for the money... so if you guys say for me to get the kit lens, i'll get the kit lens... being in college, i don't have a lot of money to be throwing around... but thanks for your help.

I understand mate... I'm married, (almost 4 years in January), I'ma full time student studying music... one of the hardest, most time consuming majors on earth, and now I'm the full time assistant yearbook editor of my college to boot which means I HAVE to be at the games and events not home studying and with my wife and baby girl. =o)

I understand busy... plus I have ministries at my church and around town as well, since I goto Bible School for the Lord God. =o)

-tlmiller10