Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 31, 2005, 8:02 PM   #1

I received the Reb XT as a gift not long ago and was wondering if anyone had tried using this lens as a walk around lens. With the 1.6 coversion factor this lens comes close to the 50mm standard of full frame cameras. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Yussi
yussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2005, 8:55 PM   #2

No idea! I think peripatetic has one so he might be able to give you a word or two about it.

Another option would be the sigma 30 f/1.4 . It's 35mm equivalent is 48mm so it's a little closer to the standard 50 . I placed an order a while ago and was suppose to get it this week but henrys had a backorder and the salesman said give it another week...

I hopefully will use this as a general lens too (but my main reason is no-flash indoor photography). Back in my good ol' P & S days I was only using one focal length. I tried 50mm but on the dslr it's sometimes a little longer than I want it to be so I'm going to try 30mm...
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:40 PM   #3

Thanks for the info BoY. That sigma sounds intriguing. Please keep us informed!

Years ago I enjoyed using an old F-1 with a 50mm 1.4 and the shallow dof that it afforded.
I would like to try and replicate that experience with my new XT.
yussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 11:28 PM   #4

My suggestion is to get a Canon 50 f/1.8 and to live with the crop factor. There's no doubt that it's an excellent lens, and it's very inexpensive.

I tried a Canon 28 f/2.8 and didn't like its performance. I'd hoped for some of the 50 magic in it, but was disappointed. It was farily consistently outperformed by the 17-40 f/4 L, which also works better as a general purpose lens. I think I know what you're after; I tried it with the 28, but ended up returning it after trying it out.

Sigma is said to make decent fast primes. Their 28 f/1.8 might be wortha shot.

Edit: Corrected Canon 28 was f/2.8, not f/1.8.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 11:44 PM   #5
Super Moderator

i am going to disagree with madwand.. the 50 1.8 is too tight for a general purpose walkaround for a 1.6 crop factor camera...

the 28 1.8 isn't too bad of lens, it has usm so focusing speed will knock the socks off the 50 1.8 and its fairly compact.. it has a tendency to be a bit soft wide open, esp at the corners..

the sigma 30 1.4 is probably a sharper lens and also has a HSM (usm) for quick focusing..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2005, 2:05 AM   #6
Super Moderator

I believe "normal" is closer to something like 43mm on FF. 50mm just happens to be the sweet spot for manufacturing a good cheap lens.

It depends what you want the lens for - I would guess "snapshots" which is to say you want to see something put the camera to your eye and take a fast picture. That means you want fast focus USM or HSM on Sigma.

That IMO excludes a number of lenses that were designed to be good wide-angle lenses for FF mostly used for landscapes. Including the 3 Sigma 20,24,28 f1.8s - good optically but very slow and noisy AF according to reviews. It also excludes the EF 35mm f2 - slow AF and frankly not wide enough IMO. Any 50mm lens is pretty much useless as a snapshot lens, though good for portraits.

So you're left with 2 realistic options plus a dream.
Realistic are the Sigma 30mm 1.4 and the EF 28 f1.8. The dream is the EF 24mm 1.4 L.

The 28 does have good fast AF and makes a very good snapshot lens, and it's great indoors too. It is quite soft at f1.8 but it's a little hard to tell because the DOF is so shallow at that aperture - at any rate it hasn't been a particular problem for me. Slightly soft is better than no shot at all. Also I think the worst of the image is cropped so although it's a FF lens - it's probably a better bet on the crop cameras.

The 30 wasn't available when I bought my 28, and I would have been very tempted. Some people (fstopjojo?) don't like the bokeh but I think it's probably sharper - build quality is probably about equal, AF is fast, it's a little cheaper, and 1/2 stop faster, but it's crop only not FF.

If I were buying now I would definitely want to try both lenses at a shop before purchasing.

You can see some of my shots with the 28 at http://vanderwooks.blogspot.com

I think fstopjojo has some samples of the 30.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2005, 3:51 AM   #7

All good from Peripatetic.

Quote:
The 28 does have good fast AF and makes a very good snapshot lens, and it's great indoors too. It is quite soft at f1.8 but it's a little hard to tell because the DOF is so shallow at that aperture - at any rate it hasn't been a particular problem for me. Slightly soft is better than no shot at all.
Hallelujah, music to my ears. Exactly my argument for primes in so many situations.

Have been in despair with the slow sharp zoom rant apparent on these forums.

Ps. Love the "Under the Bank" shot. - Excellent, my kinda stuff.
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2005, 4:52 AM   #8

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Any 50mm lens is pretty much useless as a snapshot lens, though good for portraits.

*Cartier-Bresson rolls over* "AF? Crop? Over my dead.. um, nevermind."
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2005, 5:47 AM   #9

hee hee hee,

Actually Cartier-Bresson didn't do his best stuff with an 80 mm lens which is exactly what a 50mm is on a 1.6 crop camera.

Anyway I think this is whatPeripatetic was talking about when he meant it was almost useless as a normal lens.
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2005, 6:13 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. 50/1.6 = 31.

Even there I prefer EFL 40mm as a snapshot lens - so around 24mm on the 1.6 cameras.

I was actually seriously considering buying the 24L, but I decided instead to get an Ixus700 + accessories for my wife and the 28mm for me for about the same money.

It's worked out quite well actually the Ixus is a nice little camera, very fast.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote