Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 1, 2005, 11:39 PM   #1

Any one know anything about this lens. Picture quality?
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2005, 7:05 AM   #2
NHL

FYI - http://www.nikonians.org/html/resour..._M100AF_1.html

Since pretty much all macro lenses are equally consistenly good you should look into the Sigma 105 EX DG macro as well - I believe it's a 1:1 (Tokina is 1:2 ?) and can stop down to f/45 - http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=11&page=1
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 7:51 AM   #3

The Tokina is a 1:1 as well and also sports one touch clutch over ride for focus.
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 8:19 AM   #4
NHL

Tomsch wrote:
Quote:
The Tokina is a 1:1 as well and also sports one touch clutch over ride for focus.
That's good to know!

BTW if anyone can afford the higher expense - I highly recommend the 150mm f/2.8 EX DG, its AF is SILENT. I have both HSM and USM lenses, but this new DG is so amazingly quiet (with full-time AF overide) that even my soundmeter can't register it.

The picture quality is amazing too: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=7
Old Sep 2, 2005, 12:58 PM   #5

NHL,

I believe that is the discontinued macro by Tokina. The new model is their Pro version. I like the build quality of the Tokina pro models and I have the Tokina 124ATX Pro. As for the Sigma 150 macro I have seriously considered that one too. My apprehension is that camera models in the digital-age are changing so fast I wouldn't put it past Canon to make enough changes that would render 3rd party lenses useless unless supported by the 3rd party manufacturer. Even so it would be a inconvenient to get them rechipped.
Old Sep 3, 2005, 7:22 AM   #6
NHL

Ctrack

Yeap - I can understand your apprehension with 3rd party :idea:

Some folks embrace technology when they feel confortable with it, other just dread the complex 'digital' box... In this day and age of USB, firewire or even serial ATA, how complex can a slow speed two-wires serial lens/camera interface be?

Also people are more confortable with buying 'cheap' lenses from 3rd party, but when it comes to high-end lenses like the L vs EX, most folks are even more reluctant - All it take is one step: I bought my 1st Sigma, the 70-200 EX to try out and ever since never look back... I shoot almost exclusively with Sigma EX zooms now. My 85 f/1.2 L and my other prime (may be because I don't shoot portraits as much or because of the crop) are now spending more time in the closet than out... But that's just me
Old Sep 4, 2005, 1:11 AM   #7

NHL,

Speaking about EF 85MM, I just ordered the Canon EF 85MM F/1.8 based on reviews and comments from this forum. I do lots of indoor shooting, 90% of people. My reason for sticking with Canon"mostly" is that all my EFs still work very well. But that probably is not a great reason in that I have replaced my EF28-70 F3.5-4.5 with the Tamron 28-75 DI F2.8 and my EF 70-210 F4 with the EF 70-200 F4L. I still have my 50MM F1.8 (Series I) and its great. I am still in the market for a longer macro lens and the Sigma 150 macro looks very promising both in price and reach. I may see if I can test the Sigma 150 but they are hard to find in local stores.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 8:11 AM   #8
NHL

Ctrack wrote:
Quote:
My reason for sticking with Canon"mostly" is that all my EFs still work very well.
... and that's the crux of it - Canon may change, but they still need to support their legacy lenses which were designed a long, long time ago. My 85mm f/1.2 for one does not transmit the distance info used by the newer flash algorithm (in the studio who care), but the newer cameras still support it

I view this similar to the old POTS telephone - same line, same wiring: it went from rotary to touch tone then modem/fax were added and now we are talking about DSL, but your old rotary phones still work just fine!!!

Sigma made a mistake in their design once and it 'stained' their brand for years. Yeap, people like to poke at Sigma too, but I only look at the results and so far their current line-up perform admirably - I could have paid more for the 'peace of mind', but are they that much better? I rather save the $ for travels so I can snap even more pictures... :lol: :-) :G

Attached Images

Old Sep 5, 2005, 1:54 PM   #9

Advances by Canon have marginalized some lenses. The new digitals communicate differently and Canon has updated their systems. Case in point, the new EX 580 communicates better with the new lenses based on the sensor crop factor. My Ex550 is dated for the new kenses. Still functional but not cuurent. Attached, shot with ef28-70 3.5-4.5 II. 20 year-old lens, discontinued 1991. Still a serviceable lens, but rather dated. Review:

http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/r.../canon2870.htm

Will check out the Sigma 150 macro, price is right and right "reach" for what I after, the Canon 180mm L series is a little out of reach $.

Attached Images