Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 3, 2005, 9:20 PM   #1

:-)What len's would you recommendto shootweddings. I'm a Videographer and trying to start to to get involvedin incorporating still's into my video. Thanks for your help! Negy
negy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2005, 11:11 AM   #2

By the sounds of it, you already shoot weddings with video?
If so, then I won't go on my normal rant about how hard it is to shoot weddings and that I hightly recommend you don't do it.

BUT... if you already know what shoting weddings is about, then it's a difficult question for two reasons.

Normally you want to make some smaller and some large prints. Large prints require good lenses... enlargements show up any flaws in lower-quality lenses. If you only want to make smaller prints (8x10's) then you can get away with a cheaper lens, if you don't throw away much data.

I would suggest you search this site for the word wedding, you'll find a lot of info, as people as on a fairly regular basis about what to get for wedding work.

The 80 f1.8 is cheap, fairly good and is damn fast. You'll need that some times in a wedding, when you aren't allow to use a flash and the light is low. I have this lens and for its price ($60 USD) it is a good deal. But it is plastic, so it can't take a beating.

The 28-135 IS zoom isn't very fast (I forget the fstop range, but it isn't impressive... f3.5-f4.5?) and it isn't he highest quality glass. But the IS is handy for the spontanious shots you'll want to get. No tripod necessary if the light is the situation doesn't require high shutter speeds. I have this lens, and its a fun carry around lens. I don't know if it would be good enough for a wedding (reliability, quality of optics.)

Some people like the 70-200 zooms, but I gotta believe that is too much zoom. Really high quality lenses in that zoom range, though. Stunning stuff.

The 17-40 f4 is a really good reasonable fast zoom. High quality lens. But the lack of zoom range could be limiting if you're thinking of taking non-set shots.

Does that help some?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2005, 12:28 PM   #3
Administrator

eric s wrote:
Quote:
The 80 f1.8 is cheap, fairly good and is darn fast. You'll need that some times in a wedding, when you aren't allow to use a flash and the light is low. I have this lens and for its price ($60 USD) it is a good deal. But it is plastic, so it can't take a beating.

Welcome to the Forums negy, I see this is your first post here.

I think eric meant the 50mm f/1.8 in his response (typo). With your EOS-20D, you'd have the same angle of view as an 80mm lens would on a 35mm camera (because the sensor in your camera is smaller than 35mm film if you're not familiar with the 1.6x crop factor needed).

We have a Canon Lenses Forum thatmay be browsed by more Canon DSLR owners, so we've moved this thread there for you.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2005, 1:32 PM   #4

Thanks for the info!

negy
negy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2005, 4:29 PM   #5
Super Moderator

i think you could manage with a 24-70 2.8 and a70-200 2.8.. and then a faster prime... mb the 50 1.8 that eric mentioned, or splurge a little and get the50 1.4..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2005, 4:42 PM   #6

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
i think you could manage with a 24-70 2.8 and a70-200 2.8.. and then a faster prime... mb the 50 1.8 that eric mentioned, or splurge a little and get the50 1.4..

I concur with the 24-70 (which ranslate to a 38,4-112 used with the 20D) and a fast prime - not with the 70-200. I´d rather take a 12-24 along (just my 2cents - it really depends on your style).

Ciao, Wolfie

wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2005, 5:15 PM   #7
Super Moderator

i think the 70-200 can be helpful if the church is designed in a way that it is difficult to get close during the ceremony without being in the way..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2005, 6:42 PM   #8

Your are right there, of course, though I always try to speak with the priest beforehand to secure a place near the "action". In my experience, if you ask nicely, and promise to be as unobtrusive as possible there are no problems (it sure helps if you kow in which moments you are definitly not supposed to klick or whirr away and if you are the only one photographing)

Ciao, Wolfie
Old Sep 5, 2005, 6:55 AM   #9

I just finished shooting a wedding that was in a relatively small church, but one that was well lit. I did some portraits beforetheceremony using my 85mm f1.8 and also the 50mm that eric mentioned, and you could get by withjust the 50mm here too. during the ceremony I used both my 24-70mm f/2.8 mounted on my 20d and my 70-200mm mounted on my d-rebel, beleive me I needed both cameras as they don't seem to want to wait for you to change lenses. even though it was a small chruch, the 70-200mm was the ticketfor the close shot during the ceremony for thelighting of the candles, the ring exchange, the first kiss, etc.as I was at the back of the church, which in my experence you should not go past the last person seated and this place was packed. The reception was a nightmare of lighting, not very well lit, and every kind of light you can think of was there,but I used both the 50mm and the 24-70mm there sometimes with flash and sometimes without.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 10:23 AM   #10

Well, the more I read about wedding photography in this forum, the more I think that customs are different :?at your side of the pond. Naturally, if you are not allowed to get near bride&groom, a fast 70-200 would be first coice during the ceremony - though I strongly recommend a wide-angel for the reception - it´s a kind of "Reportage-Photography" (as we say here), after all :idea:.

Ciao, Wolfie