Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 5, 2005, 10:08 AM   #1

Well,

I'veordered the Rebel XT a few days ago, I'm still waiting for her but I'm now thinking of a good lense to buy.

I need a lens that take good photos when watching sports. A lens that must be quick enought to get the action at a +/-100yards distance and that can perform well with artificial light (such as soccer stadiums @ night).

Can you recomend me one that as a good quality/price relation?

Thanks,

Momax
Momax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2005, 12:17 PM   #2

Your main requirements are hard to fill without causing cardiac arrest when seeing the cost.

Your two main requirements of long 100-yard distance and the low light of statdiums and at night mean the use of long fast lenses. To get a shot isolating a single player or two without requireing much cropping means the use of a 500 or 600mm lenes and a teleconverter. A 600mm F4 IS L is around 9000$cdn. :?
These lengths are not hand-holdable, most sportshooters use a monopod and higher ISO speeds.

Here is a sample of what you can get with a 300mm F2.8 (3000$cdn) lens.
The statue is about 5-foot 4-inches tall and at 50-feet away it barely fills the frame.
100 yards is 6 times this distance away:!: and at that distance the statue would not even fill the bottom quarter of the frame.

EDIT: Hum the exif info vanished from the image again.
Here are the image specs

Camera: Canon EOS 20D
ISO: 400
Shutter: 1/2000 sec
Aperture: F2.8
Lens: Sigma 120-300 F2.8 @ 300.
Hand-held shot

You might want to check out http://www.sportsshooter.com/index.html to see the what and how of the pros that shoot sports.

Peter.
Attached Images

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 2:32 PM   #3

Thanx PeterP,

as you can see I'm an absolute newb in this area but it always fascinated me alot.

So...you're telling me that my wishes are hard to fullfill...I knew I was dreaming too high, oh well... :-D

So, redefining a little bit my "needs" let me try and explain you what I really want, it may still be very expensive but...

I have to start somewhere and, knowing me as I do I must take this chance before Rebel XT arrives in the mail and I make something stupid like buying lens that doesn't suit me :lol:

First things first, I'm not swimming in Euros (yes, I'm from Portugal), but when I buy I like to buy the best I can...don't we all?

Then, I'm a huge Benfica fan (Major Soccer Portuguese Team) and I usually follow the team around the Country and sometimes I go throughout the Europe either.

I want:

1 - to take nice GAME photos

2 -Take nice environment photos

For the 2ndI think I can manage with the lens that come in the package. But for the INGAME photos i'm tottaly lost. Totally... so I'm doing this in other way... What can I do with a relativelly cheap lens <500dls? What distance can I make? What quality can I expect, etc?

Can you still help me or the requirements are too stupid to bo true? :?

Old Sep 6, 2005, 4:41 PM   #4

I don't know what the conversion from cdn$ to euro$ is

These lenses will get you some of the distance you want, but all are slow and need good available light.
Sigma 170-500 F5-F6.3 1000$cdn
Tamron 200-500 F5-F6.3 1400$cdn
Sigma 50-500 F4-F6.3 1500$cdn
Canon 100-400 F4-F5.6 IS L 2000$cdn

This combination will get you a fast F2.8 short telephoto, a f4 280mm and a f5.6 400mm.
A bit of everything, but still on the short side for long distance soccer shots.

Sigma 70-200 f2.8 1300$cdn
and a 1.4 TC 300$cdn
and a 2x TC 350$cdn

Also the Canon 100-400 f4/5.6 IS L is about the same price, and it is stabilized,
With most of these lenses you would need to use very high ISO's to get resonable shots in most stadium lighting.

Trouble with high iso is the image quality goes down :sad:, and most of the lenses that are not stabilized would need the use of a support tripod/monopod.

The only really cheap alternative is a CAT lens. These mirror lenses can be found in the 500mm to 600mm range and are fixed at either f5.6 or F8. They also don't autofocus. May be able to find them on ebay for 200$-300$.

Peter.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 11:17 PM   #5

You simply can't get a lens with that much range that is also fast enough to take action shots under lights for any sensible amount of money. I recommend getting a cheaper (but good) zoom in the SIGMA 70-300 APO Macro. It will give you a good feel for what you need and what is possible and is excellent for pretty much everything other than taking action shots at night. It is also fantastic value - got mine new for less than US$200 - so when you realise that it is just not up to your requirements you won't have blown much cash and will still have a useful lens. Use a monopod and ISO 1600 and you might even get some ok football shots.
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 1:56 PM   #6

My DR XT have arrived!

Ok, thanks for your advise. After hours of reading here I think I'll go for Sigma 70-300.

The options you gave me, Peter, are too expensive for me right now.

I believe, if I'm not wrong that with that one I do not only get a good lens for my purpose but a good overall lens, am I wright?

Thank you both for the help. I hope I can pay you back in a near future :G

As soon as I have some time I'll post some MAGNIFICENT shots for you to be envy. LOL

Thanks again.

Momax
Old Sep 8, 2005, 2:27 PM   #7

:-) Yes, I agree, that is basically what I was trying to point out. That what you initially wanted was not within an average mortals budget :blah:

The Sigma 70-300 APO is a very good lens, it is very reasonabley priced and it will serve you well while you are in the learning process of the DSLR's .
It gives you an effective 112-480mm (a short to longish telephoto), not sure which lens came with your XT but it should cover the wide to mid ranges.

Now you need to go out and start shooting.

Peter.

Old Sep 11, 2005, 3:58 PM   #8

I'm sorry guys, but what can you tell me about this lens:

Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM?

BTW the best from my 1st ones:

Attached Images

Old Sep 11, 2005, 4:41 PM   #9

D
o you mean the Canon EF 70-300 F/4-5.6 IS USM (about 670$us)
or the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 USM lens (about 250$us)?

Optically similar lenses, one has IS the other dosen't, and both are poor performers optically.

The Sigma 70-300 f4-f5.6 APO DG macro (320$us) mentioned before is a better lens optically.

There is also the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DO IS USM (1450$US), but I don't think that is the one you meant :-).

Peter.

Momax wrote:
Quote:
I'm sorry guys, but what can you tell me about this lens:

Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM?
Old Sep 12, 2005, 2:51 PM   #10

No Peter, I mean this one:

http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/prod..._usm/index.asp

580EUR (around 720USD directly converting, I think)