Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 5, 2005, 11:52 PM   #1

I am looking at getting a sigma 70-300 APO macro super or the macro super II for my new Digital Rebel XT. Can anyone tell me the differences in quality, if any between the two lenses. I've looked at photosig and can't see any differences myself. Are there any? Thanks.
sai76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2005, 1:37 AM   #2

The problem with photosig is that there are a lot of categories (titles) for one lens (I just took a glance and there are over 4 titles referring to a sigma 70 - 300 APO). Even if you make sure to search for a full and proper name, there's a good chance some people may of had an APO version and just posted it under the regular version just because the names shorter. Or vise versa.

Second of all, photosig is for higher level type of photography, which likely means there's some post processing and the pictures are just done better than average, overall. I'm not saying you shouldn't consider photosig as a source, just don't base all your judgement from there. You can try someplace else like pbase.com , where's there's a lot more average-leveled photos, and a much more organized lens system.

For your actual question, The APO is suppose to be optically better (and by the MTF charts, the main improvement is at 300mm) . APO also helps in colour fringing, so there is a reason why the APO version is a little more expensive.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 1:45 AM   #3

Thanks much for the advice. I'll check out pbase.com as well.
sai76 is offline   Reply With Quote