Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 14, 2005, 4:18 PM   #1

FINALLY!

After ordering it a month ago, it's finally here! I am so happy (and annoyed at the same time).

Anyway, what can I say about this beast? Wow... it looks so pretty... The only lens I've had for the past 4 months or so was the kit lens. So this feels a lot heavier in comparison (~200g vs ~450g); right now, it feels like it's throwing the balance off the XT. Feels a lot better build than the kit lens- as it should for an EX series. Also nifty to have a pouch and lens hood...

HSM... wow... my god... at first I was wondering if it was even working... and FTM... awesome...

I haven't taken a lot of shots (just enough to think that this lens doens't have any AF issues) but as of now, I am totally impressed.

F/1.4!!!!
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2005, 4:40 PM   #2

I just ordered one myself and am looking forward to seeing how it performs. How come it took so long for it to come? I hope mine comes on time. I'll let you know how I like it when I get it. 'Til then...:-)
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 4:46 PM   #3
NHL

BoYFrMSpC wrote:
Quote:
HSM... wow... my god... at first I was wondering if it was even working... and FTM... awesome...
Yeah - I was wondering about this too...

HSM has come some way... all my lenses are EX/HSM and they are quite silent, but my latest the 150mm f/2.8 EX macro, also a new DG is now so quiet that I wondered if it was working as well. The image just come into focus magically !!! :?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 8:41 PM   #4

I've been tossing around the idea of getting on of those too. I have heard nothing but good reviews on it, and I think it will work wonders in the small studio I have set up. I'm also wondering about the bokeh for portrait shots, I would think it should be pretty good with and aperture the size of grandma's apple pie you should be able to get a pretty tight depth of field.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 7:15 AM   #5

I'll try posting some samples by the end of the week. The reason (so the store claimed) that the lens came in 4 weeks instead of 2 weeks was because sigma was taking so long to ship the product out.

It's only been a night, but I don't think I can ever use a non-USM/HSM lens, anymore. :-)
Old Sep 15, 2005, 8:00 AM   #6

BoyFrMSpC

Congrads on the new lense. I would recomend that you do some testing with this lense. I had one, but sent it back because it was bad. Mine would not focus correctly past about 6-10 feet. And below that, it was very erratic.

I also did a test of this lense to my Sigma 18-125mm (@30mm and on a tripod) and the sharpness of the 30mm could not outdo the 18-125 at any of the F stops that both covered. Under 2.8 mine was almost unusable. maybe mine was part of the first lot, not sure. I have read of few reviews of where some of the first ones were not to good.

Having the HSM is great, I love it on my Bigma.

Hope you have good luck with it.

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 11:31 AM   #7

Speedie,

The thread got confusing. Are you talking about the Sigma 30mm or the 150 macro. I have been considering the 150 macro but have read both good and bad reports. Definitely sharp in the center but some weakness in the corners. One corner sharp and the other not sharp. It seems that while some have great experiences with Sigma some do not. It seems to be running 50-50. Overall I think they comments are positive but it would be a hassle to have to return a lens (mailorder) until I got a good one. All this speaks to a quality control issue that should happen with a $600+ lens. Yes, I'm sure Canon has some bad lenses so its not a Canon vs the world issue. That's not a debate I want to start.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 1:17 PM   #8

Ctrack

It was a Sigma 30mm 1.4 that I had. I have not tried the Sigma 150mm macro, as it does look good.

Every company will have good days and bad days of making their products, that is why they have a quality control team and ISO standards. I have read horror stories about Canon, Nikon, Sigma, Tokina, and Tarmon lenses. Usually the quality is a little low when a product first comes out, as they are still ramping up the product.

I did order mine through the mail, and when I got a hold of the company, it was past their 7 day return policy. They did take it back, do to when I tried to get a hold of them the first time they closed early. But after returning, that opened a whole other can of worms.

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 6:17 PM   #9

That really sucks, Speedie... I swear if I got a defected lens after waiting 4 weeks I would just blow up.

Fortunately, after looking at some pics on the comp, I think I don't I have AF issues past 6m.

Taking pictures wide open at 1.4 is no walk in the park. Very hard aperture to deal with. But once you get it... It's really nice.

Anyway, the first 2 are ISO 1600 wide open

the other 3 are ISO 100 wide open. Just to give you an idea on bokeh and overall image sharpness..

No alterations besides the resolution.
Attached Images

Old Sep 15, 2005, 6:25 PM   #10

And since you mentioned 2.8, speedie, I'll also include this. Luckily, I took 2 shots, one at 2.8 and the other at 8

iso 100, only res alteration. I know.. tripod would of been better... but i didn't test freak. I think the focus distance was almost infinity.
Attached Images