Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 16, 2005, 12:17 AM   #1

I'm a newbie with dslr, XT will be my first dslr and I would like to ask ur opinion regarding the lens. Should I just get the xt with kit lens and play with it for awhile till I get the hang of it. Or should I just get the body only and get a better all in one lens?

I was looking at the 17-85 IS, do you think this would be ok? I don't want too expensive lens, at least 3x zoom like the regular P&S will be good for me.

So which do you think would work great? I don't want heavy lens to start with.

Anna
Ching is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2005, 1:08 AM   #2

Anna

Another lens that you should look at would be the Sigma 18-125mm. It is a nice all around lens. It can do moderate wide angle, to some telephoto work. This lens spends a lot of time on my camera, and I have been very happy with the results. You can get it from B & H for about $290, some other places for less.

Also, about what price range are you looking? And what type of photography work will you be doing with this lens?

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 1:21 AM   #3

Hi Bill,

It would have to be all-around, I don't think I'll need the wide lens, the regular would do, but having wide will be a welcome addition as I might be taking front view of a resort (family job) I will need a good zoom but I don't think too long zoom is a must, I have my panasonic FZ5 for the extra long zoom (might go on safari) Most important is indoor pix, for indoor pix, do I need F2.8 for that? Like going to museum or old churches, or night parties with ample light but still low, for taking group pictures.

Price range of not more than $500.00 Mostly use for vacation pictures. For sharpness, I can do pp on that as long as no great distortion. The sigma 18-125mm looks good but is it good for low light no flash?

Anna
Old Sep 16, 2005, 2:33 AM   #4

Ching

For indoor pics, without a flash both the Canon 17-85 IS and the 18-125 might have some troubles. They will both work, but it will be tougher on them. I am not super confident with the Sigma in low light, hand held shots. I have been thinking of a 2.8 for this myself, but not sure what one I want. The three that I have been thinking of are the Sigma 18-50 2.8, Sigma 24-70 2.8, and the Tarmon 28-75 2.8. All three of these are under $500.

Also, for the XT, any lense that you put onto the camera has to be mulitplied by 1.6x. This is do to the crop factor. So, an 18mm lens is equal to 28.8mm, which is not about normal today.

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 2:34 AM   #5

Hi Anna,

With your budget $500 USD, I would pick up a Canon lens 17-40mm f/4L USM.

If wide angle lens is not your need, try the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. This is a great lens widely used by many people and they are quite happy with it.

Regards,

Quan

Quan Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 2:36 AM   #6

Thank you Bill, so I really need to get another lens for these indoor museum type lens with F2.8.

Thanks for your input also Quan.

Anna
Old Sep 16, 2005, 7:00 AM   #7

an alternative to the canon 17-40L is the sigma 18-50 f/2.8 . it's can be had for 409 at sigma4less.com. It's twice as fast and has better optics than the sigma 24-70, as well as gives a little of everything (wide-standard-tele) so it could cover a lot of your needs if you're in a pinch. The only drawback agaisnt the 17-40 is you lose USM/HSM (silent focusing + full manual override[being able to manually focus while the lens is still set to AF]) and weather sealing.

Another thing is that the 18-50 is DC only... meaning it's only for cameras with 1.6x sensors. you can check out sites like pbase.com and look up pictures sorted by lenses. (when you're at the site, choose "camera", the company that makes the lens, and then scroll down and find the lens.)
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 9:58 AM   #8

Anna, pinay ka ba? Anyway, I agree...the Sigma 18-50mm EX DC is a great lens...I just got one and favored it more than my Tamron 28-75mm. I did a little bit of sharpness testing on both and found the Sigma a little better...I'm not saying the Tamron is bad though. So I think in your case, you'll need to ask yourself...do you need a wider or longer lens? Can't go wrong with either lenses. In addition, both a not too heavy and not too big...perfect size for the XT.

If you've got some spare money left, you may also want to invest in a flash. I highly recommend the Sigma EF-500 DG SUPER. It gives you the power of the Canon 550EX but only costs like the Canon 420EX.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 10:02 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Your first thought was the correct one IMO.

If you want that camera with one lens only then get the 17-85.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...se+combination
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 10:35 AM   #10

Yes, AlpineMan, I'm Filipino-Chinese. I'm still waiting for the feedback of my supplier how much the lens would cost here, he already told me the Sigma 18-200mm will cost 20k (Pesos) that's around $357. Still no reply yet for Sigma 18-50mm, I might get the kit lens for the meantime and try to play with it a bit, then I'll buy something that would compensate it, but it would still have to depend how much the sigma 18-50 is.

I'm not very particular with the wide angle lens, but I read good things re the 18-50.

The 17-85 IS has had good reviews, but I doubt that it would be cheaper here as compared to the 3rd party lens. It's a canon, so most probably it would be a bit steep in price.

I would indeed be investing (or rather my hubby will be) on flash, but that would have to come a bit later.

I'll have till next week to decide. Thanks for all the feedback.

Anna