Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 22, 2005, 8:08 AM   #1

I just got my 70-200 F2.8IS and would like to use a clear or UV filter on it to protect the front glass.

Questions. I was thinking of either the Hoya UV multi-coated or super multi-coated Pro-1 filter. Any strong recommendations of one over the other? From your experience will either of these reduce image quality (using a 20d)?

Thanks,

Bob

bob_ledyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2005, 10:44 AM   #2

Use the hood. Why put a filter in front of great glass. The front element is there to protect the lens.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2005, 11:14 AM   #3

Get the best you can, if you are going to use them.
Any filter will potentially add image degradation, and add source for lens flare at each air/glass interface.

I use one depending on the situation, in normal shooting it is off the lens.
In a storm, bad weather, or where there may be spray of some kind I put one on so I can just wipe it off as needed with a cloth.

If you think your filters are high priced, try getting a 105mm :G
I got a UV and a polarizer for my 120-300 F2.8 and the pair set me back close to 600$cdn :?

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 11:01 AM   #4

Bob,

The debate about whether or not to use a filter for protection comes up about once every month or so - there are strong feelings on both sides of the fence about whether or not you should use one. If you do decide, then get the best - if Hoya, use Super HMC - you don't need the PRO-1 since the only benefit over the Super HMC is that the pro-1 is a thinner mount (which comes into play in wide angles). For use on a 70-200 you wouldn't gain any benefit using the PRO-1 over the Super HMC - they both have the same multi coating.

The only other thing I'll add is I believe Hoya has come out with new digital line of filters in the last few months which supposedly have a different coating to cut down on issues more prevelent with digital cameras - I can't say whether they work or not or have a noticeable affect.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 4:35 PM   #5

I already posted this on another thread, but heck:

http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/uvtest

Hoya vs generic UV.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 5:14 PM   #6
NHL

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
I got a UV and a polarizer for my 120-300 F2.8 and the pair set me back close to 600$cdn :?
Peter

You should get them from theses guys for only a fraction of that:
http://www.sigma4less.com/sess/utn;j...28SG105CP%3D29
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 12:21 PM   #7

You are right!
Even with conversion to CDN$ and the customs grab, I would have saved about 80$cdn if I ordered it from them:!:

But I guess you have to be carefull and watch the prices :-)
I just ordered a TS-41 collar form B&H, ordering it from sigma4less would have cost me 40$cdn more:?

Peter.
Old Sep 24, 2005, 12:38 PM   #8

THANKS STEVE !

The answer to my basic question - filter or no filter - was right here on this web-site! I just found it.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/smp/02062005.html

bob_ledyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 3:38 PM   #9

Exactly :!::!:

If there is a reason for using a filter use it, if there is not, keep it off. :idea:

Peter.
Old Sep 24, 2005, 3:40 PM   #10

Ah! I knew it was too good to be true... it shows the 120-300 for $1950 at sig4less, convert it to cdn and it's something like 2300... while henrys sells it for 3000 cdn...

So I guess these custom taxes help shrink that difference in price?... i dont think the extra 3 year warrenty justifies this madness.... :?

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
You are right!
Even with conversion to CDN$ and the customs grab, I would have saved about 80$cdn if I ordered it from them:!:

But I guess you have to be carefull and watch the prices :-)
I just ordered a TS-41 collar form B&H, ordering it from sigma4less would have cost me 40$cdn more:?

Peter.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote