Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 23, 2005, 11:41 AM   #1

Hi guys,

I have a couple of Canon L series lenses 27-70 and 70-200 both f2.8's and looking for some advice on protecting the lens. When I wasinto photography some time ago, Hoya and B + W where quality players. This is really my first venture into serious digital photography and I understand that the filter (UV vs just clear) is a bit more important, is this actually true for digital???

Okay so here's myassumptions and thoughts: First I don't think I want a strong UV like a 415 and Iwant to preserve as much light transmission as possible, I intend to keep these filters in place.

So....

B+W UV Haze 010 Multi Resistant Coating around $80.00

or

Hoya UV(0) Pro 1 (S-HMC) around $95.00

Should I be looking at other options?

Thanks,

Joe
jlacasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2005, 2:41 PM   #2
NHL

I'm still accustomed to KR 1.5 to 3 from my films day, the WB may 'neutralize' it out, but heck it works... :-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 3:59 PM   #3

Hi there,

throughout my analogue days, I never failed to protect my lenses with a filter of some kind. After 25 years of analogue SLR-Photograyphy I never had even 1 notably scratch marring one of these filters.

After changing to digital I decided to leave the matter of "lens protection" to the lens hoods - haven´t gone wrong with this decision, so far.

Ciao, Wolfie:-)
wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 3:59 PM   #4

Hi there,

throughout my analogue days, I never failed to protect my lenses with a filter of some kind. After 25 years of analogue SLR-Photograyphy I never had even 1 notably scratch marring one of these filters.

After changing to digital I decided to leave the matter of "lens protection" to the lens hoods - haven´t gone wrong with this decision, so far.

Ciao, Wolfie:-)
wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 4:25 PM   #5

Here's an interesting finding from fstopjojo Hoya vs generic "S&W" UV filters: http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/uvtest

Personally, I use Hoya HMC Super filters for all my lenses...but that's only cuz I got a great deal on them...not much more than the mentioned "S&W" filters.

Also, I believe that the only difference between the HMC Super and HMC Super Pro-1 is that that the Pro-1's glass thickness is 3mm vs 5mm.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 2:05 PM   #6

Just use the lens hood. Why put a filter on top of a good glass. You already got the front element which acts as a protection.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 3:12 PM   #7

See Mike's article about filters on this site:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/smp/02062005.html
bob_ledyard is offline   Reply With Quote