Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 23, 2005, 10:03 PM   #1

Okay, okay, I'm sure this question's been beaten like a read headed step child, but I do need some help...

I just received my EOS 20D, lenses so far 24-70 L, 70-200 L IS and I'm looking for a wide lens. I've read everything I can find on products in the 10 - 24 range from Canon, Sigma, Tokina and Tamron. Here's what I've gleaned from what I've researched.

Note: I know that in a few years I'll sell the 20D and get a full frame. If I could afford the Mark II 1Ds I'd already have it :G

The Canon EF-S 10-22 fast, very nice images, but only fits the APS-C Canon, no good to me down the road. Especially not for 700+ dollars.

The Sigma 10-20, Tamron are a close second to the Canon and cost less but also APS-C lenses. I like the idea that the Tokina is a fixed f4 but also a APS-C.

So the winner seems to be the Sigma 12-24 f/4.5 - 5.6 (not as fast or as wide as I'd like). But is full frame. But, I've read a lot about inconsistant quality with the Sigma from several reviewers and comments from readers that had to return 1 or 2 to get a good one :O The price is nice at Sigma4less at only 559.00 but I am concerned with the quality.

So, Do I spend the money on the Canon EF-S knowing I'll have to sell it down the road perhaps with the 20d when I trade up to a full frame? Is the Sigma 12-24 a lens like I beleive my Canon L's are that I'll have and use for decades?

Thanks,

Joe
jlacasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2005, 11:21 PM   #2

I don't think there's a wider zoom for FF...

there's the sigma 8mm... but just a prime...

I think the EX lenses seem durable, just don't expect any miracles if you drop it or land on it... I read on how some people FELL on the ef 24-70 and it still worked. I don't think the sigma can pull that off, but that's one thing that keeps them cheaper.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 5:43 AM   #3
NHL

jlacasci wrote:
Quote:
So the winner seems to be the Sigma 12-24 f/4.5 - 5.6 (not as fast or as wide as I'd like). But is full frame. But, I've read a lot about inconsistant quality with the Sigma from several reviewers and comments from readers that had to return 1 or 2 to get a good one :O The price is nice at Sigma4less at only 559.00 but I am concerned with the quality.

So, Do I spend the money on the Canon EF-S knowing I'll have to sell it down the road perhaps with the 20d when I trade up to a full frame? Is the Sigma 12-24 a lens like I beleive my Canon L's are that I'll have and use for decades?
Me too IMO the 12-24 EX is a winner and I'm quite satisfied with my EX. All the Sigma's EX professional series are built of metal and are of higher quality than their lesser non-EX cousin. At least the lens is risk free for 4-years because that's how long the Sigma warranty is in the States... Can you say the same about the EF-S which is neither an L nor a full frame (with only 1-year warranty)?

BTW checkout the 'straight lines' on all the super wides too: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...374017#p374017
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote