Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 24, 2005, 4:34 PM   #1

There are too many choices and I am getting very overwhelmed. I will be shooting pictures of wildlife in Africa, tons of street photography in parts of Asia, as well great scenary, etc.

Still undecided whether I am going to get the Rebel XT or the 20D, but that decision I will work out in the next day or two.

These are some considerations so far

Sigma 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 (heard there could be problems with using this on the Rebel, but is okay on the 20D?)

Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS with an extender?

Canon 10-22mm (I love taking wide angle shots)

Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 (although really mixed reviews on this one?)

Canon 17-85 f/4-5.6 L IS

I'll add this onto the list too, Tamron 24-135 f/3.5-5.6 AD IF Macro

Would a fixed length 300mm be better for the safari? Or would I regret not having the variation?

These are just random lenses I have looked at, some are really expensive, some not.
I will want a good range of coverage all the way from wide angle to zooming in on wildlife. I can't afford the lens I should really have for the African safari, but I want to get something half descent. I don't want to take more than 3 lenses. I wish there was a lens that had a nice wide angle and a bit more coverage so I could limit it to 2 lenses, but there doesn't appear to be one.

I am hoping to not go over $5000 after buying everything, including camera body, lenses, filters, etc.

Any suggestions, throw them at me please
shutterbug2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2005, 8:08 PM   #2

Advice revoked; due to ultra high bs levels thread has attained.
I refuse to continue to participate in threads that exhibit brand bigotry, or just expound on plain bad advice.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 1:21 AM   #3

Thanks for suggestions Peter, lots of good one there. I have a few questions, is it better to go with say the canon 70-200 IS with an extender, versus an lens that has a longer zoom but only f4-5.6 or something like that? I know I can't afford a 500mm lens. So do you go for better quality over zoom length?
I am a bit wiery from some of the things I have read about using non-canon lenses, obvioulsy lots of people do use them with no problems, yourself included I asssume? Do you ever have to worry about a Sigma or Tamron lens not working probably with a Canon?
Sorry if I am sounding really dumb, but what is the universal voltage charger? Is that to convert the voltage in the different countries? Doesn't the canon's battery charger have dual voltage?

Thanks,
Audrey

shutterbug2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 7:14 AM   #4
NHL

shutterbug2005 wrote:
Quote:
I have a few questions, is it better to go with say the canon 70-200 IS with an extender, versus an lens that has a longer zoom but only f4-5.6 or something like that? I know I can't afford a 500mm lens. So do you go for better quality over zoom length?
IMO PeterP had fun spending your money :-) However in a sense, he has also answered your question: "I'd really consider the Sigma 120-300 F2.8 EX HSM. Optically excellent, fast focusing and you have a good zoom range in it. It also works very well with a 1.4 or a 2x TC's. Giving you a 420mm F4 and a 600mm F5.6. It is one of the lense most attached to my camera..."

You can basically cover 17-600 mm with just two lenses: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=65

I'm more concerned about carrying all the stuffs than taking pictures overseas... and be a magnet for pickpockets

Quote:
I am a bit wiery from some of the things I have read about using non-canon lenses, obvioulsy lots of people do use them with no problems, yourself included I asssume? Do you ever have to worry about a Sigma or Tamron lens not working probably with a Canon?
http://www.shutterbug.net/test_repor...gma/index.html
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=66
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 12:18 PM   #5

I refuse to continue to participate in threads that exhibit brand bigotry, or just expound on plain bad advice.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 12:25 PM   #6

Old Sep 25, 2005, 9:35 PM   #7

Wow, I wish I was going with you, sounds like a GREAT trip.

I just spent around 5K on my equipment, I wanted a full frame digital but couldn't justify the 7K for the Mark II Ds. So I went with the 20d, will trade up in a few years I'm sure to a full frame. That being said one of my requirements for any lens is it has to work with a full frame down the road, and has to be top notch quality (and fast). I didn't want to spend much more than 5 K on my equipment. Here's what I have:

EOS 20D

Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L USM

Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS USM

Sigma 12 -24 f/4.5 EX (not as fast as I like, but all being equal best I could do for a full frame at a better than fair price).

Flash Canon 580

If I had the 2x converter from Canon it would put me at 5300.00.

And Don't forget, with a 1.6 multiplier that 70-200 looks like a 112-320, now add the 2X and your looking at 224 - 640 with IS.

Joe
jlacasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 3:23 AM   #8

Before I comment, I just want to make it clear that by no means am I in the same league as Peter and NHL. I live in South Africa so I thought I could make some useful comments.

Depending on where you are going in Africa, having a bag that doesn't scream "Expensive Equipment" will be to your advantage.

I have a 20D with a Canon 17-85 IS and Sigma 175-500. As you can see, I'm missing quite a large range between 85 and 175. The solution - Sigma 80-200 F2.8. For safaris, the combination of the two sigma's would be perfect.
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 7:43 AM   #9
NHL

JohnReid wrote:
Quote:
... As you can see, I'm missing quite a large range between 85 and 175.
This is where I can see big advantage in the popular 50-500mm "Bigma"

If you haven't decide yet - take a look at the Minolta 7D (it could be had for the price of an XT after rebate), couple this dSLR to the above Bigma and you'll have a fantastic combination including an 'antishake' system that will work with all lenses, all the way to f/1.4 with some primes: http://www.steves-digicams.com/smp/07102005.html

Heck at that price (less than the cost of 1 IS lens) it could even become handy as an 'IS only' 2nd camera... :-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 3:04 PM   #10

Just get a F1.8 50mm lens and take that with the XT. Travel light and take tons of pictures. Have a fantastic trip. Good luck.

Dinmore is offline   Reply With Quote