Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 13, 2005, 10:04 AM   #21

Chris,

Any weblinks to view pictures? I need all the help I can get.

Also the 20D does extremely well. 13x19 prints are no problem and I can't think of many people that want a picture larger than that. If they do, you can assist them, res-up a file and direct them to a good lab.

I like photography but the stress of being the key to someones memories makes me nervous. I'll stick to casual, fun!
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 10:29 AM   #22

Sure! Here are a few from last weekend:

20D and 70-200IS (This shot was at 200mm (320mm equivalent), handheld at 1/40 second! Gotta love that IS):

20D and Tamron 28-75, wide open at f2.8:

20D and Tamron 28-75, wide open at f2.8:

Yet another Tamron 28-75 wide open f2.8:

OK, last one: 20D and Tamron 28-75 at f2.8:

There are some more small samples on my site at

http://www.imagineimagery.com

And at http://www.pbase.com/chris_miller (most of the wedding images here were taken with My Rebel XT and 17-85IS lens though.

Chris
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 12:50 PM   #23

Excellent work there Chris! I'm almost sorry that I sold my Tamron for my Sigma 18-50mm EX DC... :blah:
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 1:04 PM   #24

Chris,

Great shots! I love candids, spontaneous shots. Thanks for sharing!
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 2:18 PM   #25

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
I wouldnt shoot a wedding for any level of serious money with a 20D. Better to use a Canon EOS 1D or 1DS. And stick with Canon "L" lenses. -- Terry
Terry, you may have a valid point. I don't shoot weddings for a living. In fact, I'd sooner not ever shoot one, however, my recent experience says you might be better to have two 20D's than one 1D.

My wife and I were helping a poor relation (Wah! Wah! If you don't take pictures at our wedding, we'll only have disposable cameras for the guests to use.). During a crucial moment--bridesmaids etc. coming up the aisle and the bride about to come along, too--the 580EX on my wife's 20D stopped working. She signalled me, and I stepped in with my Rebel XT and 420EX. She resolved her problem within five minutes or so, but those five minutes would have cost some important shots.

I learned two lessons from that wedding: 1. Don't shoot weddings, and 2. If you do, be sure to have two fully capable cameras on the job. Two 20D's will cost less than a 1DII and provide a lot of protection from camera failure, or camera dropping, etc. However, lesson #1 is the more important, as far as I'm concerned!

Bill
wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 4:12 PM   #26

You're absolutely right Bill. In fact, most of the wedding photographers that hire me to shoot with them are doing so not only to have a second set of photos, but to have a backup set of photos in case something goes wrong with their files.

I recently upgraded from an XT to 20D, because I started shooting for hire. But, I kept my XT, and of course always have it with me during events. I'll keep a fisheye lens attached and slung around my shoulder for fun shots every now and then, but I also have a second set of batteries and my old 420ex flash in the bag, ready to go in case I ever experience what happened to you.

wburychka wrote:
Quote:
[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
I wouldnt shoot a wedding for any level of serious money with a 20D. Better to use a Canon EOS 1D or 1DS. And stick with Canon "L" lenses. -- Terry
Terry, you may have a valid point. I don't shoot weddings for a living. In fact, I'd sooner not ever shoot one, however, my recent experience says you might be better to have two 20D's than one 1D.

My wife and I were helping a poor relation (Wah! Wah! If you don't take pictures at our wedding, we'll only have disposable cameras for the guests to use.). During a crucial moment--bridesmaids etc. coming up the aisle and the bride about to come along, too--the 580EX on my wife's 20D stopped working. She signalled me, and I stepped in with my Rebel XT and 420EX. She resolved her problem within five minutes or so, but those five minutes would have cost some important shots.

I learned two lessons from that wedding: 1. Don't shoot weddings, and 2. If you do, be sure to have two fully capable cameras on the job. Two 20D's will cost less than a 1DII and provide a lot of protection from camera failure, or camera dropping, etc. However, lesson #1 is the more important, as far as I'm concerned!

Bill
Old Oct 13, 2005, 9:09 PM   #27

ChrisDM,

Thanks for your info.

Are you printing your digital photos via a service or do you print them yourself?

What printer do you use?

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 10:37 PM   #28

Terry, I don't offer prints to my clients, only CDs and DVDslideshows. To print my 8x10s for portfolios and personal printing I use my HP Deskjet 5850.

Old Oct 15, 2005, 9:29 AM   #29

Chris,

Thanks for the info.

I'm suprised they don't want an album.

But maybe it saves them cash to print photos themselves.

Terry

Old Oct 15, 2005, 9:29 AM   #30

Chris,

Thanks for the info.

I'm suprised they don't want an album.

But maybe it saves them cash to print photos themselves.

Terry