Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 15, 2005, 10:15 AM   #31

Terry -

Yes, this is in fact my marketing plan. I am the "more affordable, all- digital alternative" to wedding photographers. That way they get to print only the ones they want. And, more importantly, I don'thave to! If I get so busy at it that I can quit my day job, then I will probably enlist my wife as "print and album producer" for the business, and then offer a full range of services. But in the meantime, I shoot em, fix em, burn em, mail em...

Chris
http://www.imagineimagery.com

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
Chris,

Thanks for the info.

I'm suprised they don't want an album.

But maybe it saves them cash to print photos themselves.

Terry

ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 11:12 AM   #32

cool. but couldn't you make money by posting them on the web, and let relatives order prints?
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 1:25 PM   #33

Yes, someday I plan on implementing a system like this. Fulltime pros have told me that they make around $500 just offering replrints to relative, etc as you suggest.

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
cool. but couldn't you make money by posting them on the web, and let relatives order prints?
Old Oct 15, 2005, 1:30 PM   #34

ChrisDM wrote:
Quote:

Terry -

Yes, this is in fact my marketing plan. I am the "more affordable, all- digital alternative" to wedding photographers. That way they get to print only the ones they want. And, more importantly, I don'thave to! If I get so busy at it that I can quit my day job, then I will probably enlist my wife as "print and album producer" for the business, and then offer a full range of services. But in the meantime, I shoot em, fix em, burn em, mail em...

Chris
[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
Chris,

Thanks for the info.

I'm suprised they don't want an album.

But maybe it saves them cash to print photos themselves.

Terry

Chris, I actually like your business plan...I wish I could have found a photographer like you when I got married...my wife would have been happier being able to choose exacly what she really wanted printed for a great price that includes the original digital images! Our photographer would not even sell us the negatives even after a few years. I like your plan so much that I told a co-worker of mine that if he ever decides to get married, "I know" a photographer who'd be perfect.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 1:33 PM   #35

Chris,

Maybe there's an opportunity here.

Perhaps we could create a website that:

- wedding photogs could post photos

- relatives could order prints

- relatives get prints, photogs make $'ss, and we take a small percentage off the top.

Interested?

- Terry

Old Oct 15, 2005, 2:42 PM   #36

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
That's exactly what I did for my "poor relation" freebee wedding. My wife wanted to pick a few of our favorites and make them 8x10s. However, our experience prior to and during the rehearsal, wedding, and reception convinced me that this would be a classic "No good deed goes unpunished" scenario. I could hear them now..."Could you make a print of this one, that one, and that one? And Aunt Frieda wants 4x6 prints of the 20 ceremony pictures plus the limo picture." And so on.

Instead, I opened an account at kodakgallery.com (formerly ofoto.com) for them, sent them the user name and password, and uploaded the pictures. Done. They can order all they want. Or even a bound book. So can aunt Frieda. Whatever, from now on it's on their tab.

Your bargain wedding pic approach has merit, although I'll bet the conventional wedding photographers in your area don't appreciate your devaluing the market. The same thing has happened to the magazine and stock photo markets, thanks to thousands of semi-pros who are willing to take less for their photos because it isn't their livelihood.

Alocally well-known nature photographer tells me that just in the last year and a half, the magazine market has dropped drastically. Shefigures the event that started it all was the launch of the original Digital Rebel in September 2003. Canon sold five times as many of those as they expected to, and a large number of those new DSLR users had talent (unlike myself, of course) that theyfound could provide a secondary income. Of course, Nikon followed the Rebel nine months later, thenthe others, and, well, you know the rest.
wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 4:41 PM   #37

Chris,

I see your point.

The only downside of using another site is they make money on the prints, and you get nothing (and no hassle).

However, if you posted your photos, and the relatives ordered prints, and someone else printed them for you and sent them out, but gave you a 15-30 percent royalty on all paid purchases - would that be worthwhile?

The problem with posting them to a site is you want to get a copyright or some kind of royalty for your work - that's my thinking.

-- Terry
Old Oct 17, 2005, 2:57 AM   #38

I like my Ef 28-135 F4.5-5.6 IS The IS is great for weddings! Makes a nice lens for wedding, I wouldn't go much wider than 24 mm or you'll get distortion. Well, I've used my 28-135 a good number of weddings, with my 20D. It is the only lens you'll ever need.
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 9:28 AM   #39

matthew2000tx wrote:
Quote:
I like my Ef 28-135 F4.5-5.6 IS The IS is great for weddings! Makes a nice lens for wedding, I wouldn't go much wider than 24 mm or you'll get distortion. Well, I've used my 28-135 a good number of weddings, with my 20D. It is the only lens you'll ever need.

I have aSigma 18-50mm EX DC lens. I don't see any distortion at 18mm at all (or any focal length for that matter).
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 9:49 AM   #40

That is a great lens for weddings, but it isn't the only one you'd ever need. Sometimes there are evening ceremonies outdoors, or dimly lit churches that don't allow flash. In those instances, sometimes even 2.8 isn't fast enough. At least have the 50mm 1.8 or 85mm 1.8 in the bag for those situations.

AlpineMan wrote:
Quote:
matthew2000tx wrote:
Quote:

I have aSigma 18-50mm EX DC lens. I don't see any distortion at 18mm at all (or any focal length for that matter).