Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 27, 2005, 12:38 AM   #1

I am planning to buy a Canon 20D digital camera with a single lens for right now and was wondering if anybody has had any experience with either the Canon 17-85mm or the Sigma 18-200mm lens for weddings. I am sure the enlargement won't be more than 8x10 (possibley 11x14). I do want to use a single lens and not walk around with several lenses. Also this lens would be used for other affairs and general purpose. Also, what type of memory card should I use (Hitachi microdrive or a Sandisk ultra ll)? Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Marc
Marc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2005, 12:56 AM   #2

Advice revoked; due to ultra high bs levels thread has attained.
I refuse to continue to participate in threads that exhibit brand bigotry, or just expound on plain bad advice.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 6:59 AM   #3
NHL

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
For the lens I'm currently enamoured with the new Canon EF 24-105 F4 L IS USM.
It has enough letters after its name to impress me :blah:
Bear in mind that Nikon has this same lens years ago - and it goes to 120mm
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0302/03...24120afsvr.asp
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 10:13 AM   #4

The 17-85 is definately an option, but I prefer the 24-70 Sigma. Less range but it's a 2.8 through the entire zoom range and very sharp to boot. Generally for weddings, I think a "normal" prime like the Sigma 30 f/1.4, a longer prime like the Canon 85 f/1.8, a standard zoom like the Sigma or Canon24-70 f/2.8, and a medium telephoto like the Sigma or Canon 70-200 f/2.8 is a good combination. If I had to choose one, I'd choose the 24-70, as long as the light or flash use permits.

As far as aCF cardgoes. Either the Ultra II cards or the Extreme cards will work well, they're both wonderful. If you think you're going to need a card that will perform is not so great weather, go with the Extreme, but then again your camera would then be "the weakest leak" at that point unless you go with a 1 series body.

Good luck and have fun!
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 5:22 PM   #5

I would not shoot a wedding again unless you put a gun to my head...and even then, I'd have to think about it. I would never do one for money with just a lone 20D. Too many things can go wrong with one camera to take such a chance.

My wife and I shot a wedding a month or so ago for some "poor relations" who just couldn't afford a photographer, and they would only have guest pictures and disposable cameras if we didn't do it. Well, that was OK with me, but my wife is (I should say WAS) a soft touch, and she said OK.

We used a 20D with the 17-85mm, and it turned out that the short end of that lens was needed more than I expected, due to space limitations. That camera had a 580EX flash on a Stroboframe Press-T bracket for proper vertical shots. For the second and backup, we used my Rebel XT with a 28-135 and 420EX flash. At a crucial time--bridesmaids walking up the aisle, my wife's 580EX stopped working and I took over with my RXT and 420EX while she checked out the problem (loose connector). If I had not been there with the second camera, the bride and father coming up the aisle would have been missed.

One problem with the 17-85 is distortion at the 17mm and 85mm ends of the zoom. If you have to use them, try to avoide vertical lines near the sides of the frame, as the barrel/pincushion distortion will be quite evident. Also, at the wide end--as with any wide angle--be sure to shoot level, so you don't have keystone problems with vertical lines. Other than that, the 17-85 has proven to be an excellent party lens, vacation lens, and general all-purpose shooting lens. The IS works well, and the lens focuses quickly and accurately with the 20D and Rebel XT.

Oh yes. The Sandisk Extreme III 2 GB is the way to go. Get at least two, since you will be shooting RAW...won't you? And I also forgot. The 17-85 has CA in areas of high contrast. Kind of nuisance, as the CA fixers I have tried are only moderately effective.

wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 9:02 PM   #6

SlapNTickleJr wrote:
Quote:
The 17-85 is definately an option, but I prefer the 24-70 Sigma. Less range but it's a 2.8 through the entire zoom range and very sharp to boot. Generally for weddings, I think a "normal" prime like the Sigma 30 f/1.4, a longer prime like the Canon 85 f/1.8, a standard zoom like the Sigma or Canon24-70 f/2.8, and a medium telephoto like the Sigma or Canon 70-200 f/2.8 is a good combination. If I had to choose one, I'd choose the 24-70, as long as the light or flash use permits.

As far as aCF cardgoes. Either the Ultra II cards or the Extreme cards will work well, they're both wonderful. If you think you're going to need a card that will perform is not so great weather, go with the Extreme, but then again your camera would then be "the weakest leak" at that point unless you go with a 1 series body.

Good luck and have fun!
all of the above :-)the sigma would be my choice and the sandisk extreeme cards

1 thing to note though , in a quiet church the sigma's focus noise will turn heads :-)which is probably a good thing as you will get the shots of the faces :roll:
amarko5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:34 PM   #7

Marc,

I just finished a wedding. Iused two cameras a 20D and a 10D. I decided to go with the Canon 28 - 135 IS on the 20D as the primary and the Sigma 18 - 200 DC on the 10D for candis and wide angle shots.Eventually Ihad to switch tomy Sigma 17 - 35 F2.8 - F4.The 18 - 200 was too slow and was somewhat distorted on the wide end. The close ups weren't that bad. But afterwards I could see the difference between the photos taken with the Canon and the Sigma 18 - 200DC. Outdoors, I found the Sigma to be very good for the money. Unless you are really doing someone a favor, you need a higher quality lens than justthe Sigma 18 - 200 DC. In my younger days, shooting mostly lower income couples, itmight be okay, but for the rates I'm charging now, the Canon 28 -135 IS, Sigma 17 - 35 EX, and Canon 70 - 200 L F4 are the minimum quality for weddings. If I'm fortuante to get more upscale clients, my lens quality will have to go up to to meet rising expectations.

The Sigma 18 - 200 froze the camera with an error 02, corrupting the flash card. I may have changed back to it later in the reception. You really need a backup for situations like that.

Food for thought.

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 12:02 AM   #8

Marc

I recently did a wedding for my girlfriends brother. I was not the hired Pro, but she was happy that I was their to help her out. My camera setup that I used was the Digital Rebel, Vertical battery grip, and the Sigma 18-125mm. I was not given a lot of info on where the wedding was going to be (other than in Cali. and I live in Ct), if it was outside or inside, what type of lighting, and what type of shots that they wanted.

Well, the Sigma 18-125mm worked good for me, but I had to bump up my ISO to 400-800, and this introduced a lot of grain. I also had some motion blur of feet, hands, people walking, and slight movements. Basiclly, this lense was not fast enough for me. I wish that I would of had a F2.8 lens for this, and I even went on a hunt for one the evening before and the morning of the wedding. If I do a wedding again, I will have the best lense possible. That would be one of the 24-70mm F2.8 lenses on the market. A Canon or a Sigma would do. I would also think of the Tamron 28-75 mm F2.8 lense.

Here is a list of gear that I would have for weddings if I were to do it professionally:

Lenses:

- Sigma or Canon 24-70mm F2.8, possibly a Tarmon 28-75mm 2.8

- Sigma 18-50mm F2.8

- Canon 24-105mm L F4 IS

- Sigma or Canon 70-200mm F2.8

- A prime lense less that F1.8 (Sigma 30mm 1.4 or Canon 35mm 1.4)

Camera add-ons:

- Vertical Battery Grip with batteries

- At least 3 2 gig cards ( Sandisk UltraII or Kingston Pro)

- Verygood flash with an omi bounce

After getting this gear, much practice. You will need to learn the camera and all the gear that goes with it.

As I found out at that wedding, the Pro that was hired really didn't know how to opperate her external flash. I was shooting without one, and only used the built in one a few times. This is why I say that you need to know your equipment very well. This is a special day for these people, and you do not want to drop the ball.

Hope this helps out.

Bill

Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 10:40 AM   #9

For your lens, I would consider the Sigma 24-70 EX DG MACRO or the Tamron 28-75 XR Di as well if you have to go with a single lens. Since it's so cheap, I would also get the Canon 50mm f1.8 for your portrait shots (I know, you now have 2 lenses!). Will also recommend getting a flash...a Sigma EF-500 DG Super, Canon 550EX, or Canon 580EX. For CF, you'll need to get atleast two 2gb cards. I would suggest getting CF cards rather than microdrives.

Speaking of CF cards, I replaced my two Lexar 80X 2GB cards with a single Kingston Elite Pro 4gb 45X CF. I did amateurish performance testing on the cards, and the Lexars were just slightly faster...not worth double the price of the Kingston...plus I had a terrible experience with Lexar's customer service and support regarding the replacement of the cards cuz of faulty firmware which may cause lost images :ak47please excuse my rant!).
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 11:33 AM   #10

I shot my first couple weddings with my 17-85IS with good results, but now use the Tamron 28-75 as my primary normal lens because the faster aperture allows me to get more shots without flash when the light starts to fade. If you get into it, you will probably want to have a wider or longer lens, or both, depending on the environment. I shot a reception in a home over the weekend, and never took my 17-40 off due to the close quartered environment. and for a large outdoor service a few weeks ago, I used my 70-200 most of the time during the service. I don't own it yet, but if I could have one lens at a wedding, it would be the new 24-105L. The 17-85 will serve you well though, assuming you have a good flash to freeze motion...

And speaking of flash, this is a crucial part of your wedding rig. I highly recommend the Canon 580 over the 420 because the 580 has a dial that allows you to quickly adjust flash compensation. Plus it is more powerful. Add a stofen omnibounce as well, and practice practice practice with the flash.

I would stay away from microdrives for any important event, simply because unlike compact flash cards, they have movable parts inside that can break or fail. Supposedly they are nearly as reliable as CF cards, but I wouldn't take the chance in that situation.

Good luck!

Marc10 wrote:
Quote:
I am planning to buy a Canon 20D digital camera with a single lens for right now and was wondering if anybody has had any experience with either the Canon 17-85mm or the Sigma 18-200mm lens for weddings. I am sure the enlargement won't be more than 8x10 (possibley 11x14). I do want to use a single lens and not walk around with several lenses. Also this lens would be used for other affairs and general purpose. Also, what type of memory card should I use (Hitachi microdrive or a Sandisk ultra ll)? Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Marc
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote