Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 29, 2005, 10:33 AM   #11
NHL

jlacasci wrote:
Quote:
Is anyone "ever" going to tell me how you post those larger photo's inline? :?
I use Pbase - It allows direct link
The images there are uploaded to any size... problem is some folks don't have broadband
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 1:23 PM   #12

Nice Pic NHL...I take it that the shell was enlarged and Photoshopped in? Or was it a very big shell? Or did you lie on the floor and get it right in the foreground...?

Nick
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 5:37 AM   #13
NHL

Freefly

It was the later: "lie on the floor and get it right in the foreground...".
I needed to time the on-coming waves: Too early and you don't have the same shell/wave relationship - too late and I got wet, but then that's what the beach is for. Just pull the camera out of the way (or roll over) first! :-)

That's one thing nice about WA lens when stop down, the DOF is so large that it almost becomes 'focus-free' (They sell millions of plastic disposable cameras with theses features) - The shell is about an inch but magnified by the perspective... Here's another but with a different shell that I also pick up along the beach at sunrise instead:

... You can see some flares, but this is expected from shooting directly into the sun which I can remove in Photoshop.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 10:08 AM   #14

I'm considering either the Sigma 12-24 or the 10-20. I have a 300D, and no plans to upgrade to FF anytime soon. Any opinion on which is better? The price difference in the UK is about £100 ($180) more for the 12-24. Will the results be good with the 10-20 - I like NHL's pics with the 12-24.

Thanks

Ant
anthony27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 1:07 PM   #15
NHL

anthony27 wrote:
Quote:
Will the results be good with the 10-20 - I like NHL's pics with the 12-24.
According to the MTF this is how they rank:
o Canon EF-S 10-22
o Sigma 10-20 DC
o Sigma 12-24 EX

i.e. in term of contrast and sharpness... but then other factors such as distortion are not measured by the MTF's
Old Sep 30, 2005, 1:09 PM   #16

Joe,

I downloaded your pics and noticed that even though you had the camera set at ISO400 or ISO200the shutter speed was 1/80. That could contribute to the "less than sharp" pics. I had the same problem with my Tokina ATX 124. I had to concentrate and avoid slow shutter speeds. Once I concentrated on keeping the shutter speed up the pics sharpened up a bunch. In low light I started using a tripod or timer. My ability to hand hold the camera at anything less than 1/125 was a problem for me. Just something to consider.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 7:46 PM   #17

Thanks for the info... I had also taken a bunch more shots of my bike. Different settings, angles, zooms, with /without flash and the results where very close to the same. My lens was sent back to Sigma4less on Friday (Post office tried to deliver on Friday at 4:04 but Sigma4less's web sit indicated they close early on Friday. The lens was shipped witn insurance and requiring a signature. I'm hoping they pick it up Monday 10/2 and as promisissed send me another lens. If the second isn't up to snuff I'll return it and spend the extra cash on the Canon S 10-20. I was hoping to keep my glass all FF but with as good as the Canon S is reported to be, I should have no problem selling it when the time comes.

Joe
jlacasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 9:08 AM   #18

I wasn't satisfied with the sharpness of my first Sigma 12-24mm either...I just got another...I think I did better with this one:

Full images here: http://www.myitlab.com/deals/data/upimages/Sigma/

AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 6:00 PM   #19

I'm a little dissapointed thus far with the folks at Sigma4less... I called them about my lens early last week, they asked me to return it for an exchange. Great!

I shipped it with insurance etc... the post office has attempted to ship it twice now. Calling Sigma4less on Monday I learned that they are closed until Thursday!!!! I'm hoping the post office doesn't ship the lens back to me :sad:. I just wish the folks at Sigma4less would have told me this and I would have waited to ship it. Now I'm afraid I'll end up paying the shipping twice, waiting two or three times as long to get my lens and still no guarantee of getting a solid product???

I'll keep you all posted with my fingers crossed. Wishing I had purchased the Canon 10-20 more and more.

Joe
jlacasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 10:39 PM   #20

Joe

I feel your pain with Sigma4less. I have had some problems with them in the past. I ordered a Sigma 30mm 1.4 lens from them that would not focus properly past about 6-10 feet. I called them and they said to send it back. I discussed getting the Sigma 10-20mminstead and they said it would be in within a few days. A few weeks went by, their site was saying to call for availablitly, so I did. They didn't have any, but said that it was do any day. The following week they called and said that they had it. I called them back, they said thatI would have it the next day. Well, the following week I called them back complaining that I never recieved it. It never left their store. They shipped it that day and I had it the next day, finally.

Sorry to rant on your thread, but just wanted to let youknow that you were not the only one to have problems with them. Unfortantly, I will never order from them again because of this. I know that others have had good results with them, but I seem to be the 1 in 1000 that has the trouble when something goes wrong.

Ok, about the Sigma 10-20. It is a nice lense and very wide. I do feel that it is a bit soft, even when stopped down. It is nice and fast for what they say it is and that HSM is very quiet. I do not see any vinetting when completely wide open. At full wide angle (10mm) I do see some distortion, but I would expect from a lense this wide. I have been thinking of sending it back to Sigma for calibration do to the softness, but have not done that yet.

hope everything works out for you

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote