Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 28, 2005, 9:35 AM   #1

Hi folks,

I received my EX 12-24 yesterday and immediately used it, took some quick shots in my office. Wasn't happy, the images were a bit unfocused, but I figured the lens is too slow for indoor (dim) work. I took it outside and it performed much better. But I'm still not sure if I made the correct decission. I've read over and over that many folks have had to try 2 or 3 Sigma lenses (especially this one) to get a winner! So, I have 6 more days to keep it or return it. I want a wide angle zoom so I might consider the Canon 10-20 even if it is an S lens and won't work on a full frame (I'm shooting an EOS 20d). I'm thinking that perhaps I need to adjust my expectations a bit... My other two lens's are Canon L's 24-70 and 70-200 both f/2.8's wich should help the AF system. If you folks don't mind, even though the shots are quick and untouched at all. Would you tell me what you think of "just the quality of the lens, if it's possible from these shots". I couldn't figure out how to post a good sized photo here so I put them on-line. Just click on the photo link. If you'd rather I do something different for you to look at, please let me know. (6 days and counting, do I keep it or return it, will the Canon 10-20 be sharper, less CA???)

http://home.comcast.net/~jlacasci/wsb/index.html

As always, thanks for your help/input!
Joe
jlacasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2005, 9:44 AM   #2

By the way, I know the 20d isn't full frame (1.6) but, I will get a full frame down the road, so I'm trying to keep all my lenses full frame if possible. But quality comes first!

Thanks,
Joe
Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:13 AM   #3
NHL

The pictures you posted are definetly not sharp... but then it's hard to tell from the lighting/contrast where the AF sensor(s) can pick on in thoses shots - May be on the last shot try to get closer to the building (on the sunny side) where you might get more contrast for the AF's system to pick on...

Any 'digital' lens is sure to be sharper (the MTF indicates this) than its FF counter part, but also the 12-24 EX is probably better at controlling the distortion. Also FYI - http://www.pbase.com/benhua/lens_test
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:26 AM   #4

I'm really not happy with this lens but still have hopes that some of the Simga's are top notch!

I just got off the phone with Sigma4less, and they asked me to send this one back and they will send me a new one.

I'm a little paronoid... Has anyone done this with these folks before?

Thanks,
Joe

Old Sep 28, 2005, 1:47 PM   #5
Super Moderator

i have dealt w/ sigma4less several times and have had only great customer service... i'd say its worth trying another lens.. if you still aren't satisfied they may let you trade in for the digi-only sigma 10-20 which by every example i have seen is very similar in performance to the much praised canon 10-22 and tokina 12-24..

best of luck to ya..

------------------
dustin

www.hardwickphotos.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 2:39 PM   #6
NHL

... and from my Sigma 12-24 EX: :?

Old Sep 28, 2005, 3:34 PM   #7

Hey guys, quick update...

I took a few more photo's of my Harley, different zooms, lighting angles etc... Some jpg, some raw. Some with all 9 focus points from front of bike to back, some with just center point active on a single object.

Still wasn't happy so I shipped the lens back, priority US mail with insurance from MA to Sigma4less in NY, they will exchange it for another. If the sharpness isn't up to snuff, I don't know how many times I'm willing to do the swap thing. So I'll probably go with a non full frame for a wide. That being said and assuming I'm not happy with lens #2 I don't know if I'd try another Sigma without trying it on my camera first (that means more money in person than on-line). So, it looks like Canon since so far they haven't dissapointed me.

Next question, NHL, how do you post such a large image? Are you using image tags, or is it due to member status with less of a file size limit?

Thanks
Joe
Old Sep 29, 2005, 2:46 AM   #8

How does the Sigma 12-24 compare to Sigma 10-20? I'm ready to buy an XT with Sigma 18-200mm and I'm wondering if I will want to expand my FOV with a super wide zoom lens.
earl. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 4:54 AM   #9
NHL

earl. wrote:
Quote:
How does the Sigma 12-24 compare to Sigma 10-20? I'm ready to buy an XT with Sigma 18-200mm and I'm wondering if I will want to expand my FOV with a super wide zoom lens.
A 'digital' lens is usually superior in term of contrast inherent in their design - the light beams do not have to bend as much and strike the capturing sensor almost @ 90 degree as compared to a full-frame lens -> This fact is demontrasted by the upper curves in their MTF's

You also have to judge super wides in term of distortion -> check the horizontal and vertical lines on theses guys and not just one aspect of their design - This is an area where the 12-24 EX excels at considering that it's touching the fisheye focal lenght in the FF realm...
Everything is a compromise :idea:
Old Sep 29, 2005, 7:50 AM   #10

Is anyone "ever" going to tell me how you post those larger photo's inline? :?

Joe