Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 28, 2005, 5:35 PM   #1

Are there adapters to enable me to use my FL, FD and Pentax screw-mount lenses on the Rebel. If such exist, I should be able to use these lenses in aperture priority mode.
Daddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2005, 6:10 PM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the Forums.

You may have better luck getting responses by asking this question in one of the manufacturer specific forums.

The Canon Lenses Forum may be seen by more Rebel users. So, you might have a better chance at getting some responses there.

So, I'll move this thread there (but, leave the topic listed in the Misc Accessories Forum where you posted it, with a redirect to it's new location). Then, members can see it from the threads lists in both forums.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 6:53 PM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

Until someone responds, I can tell you that the lens adapters available for most cameras (for using dissimilar lens mounts) require the use of "stop down metering".

The camera has no way of knowing your lens settings through these adapters (it can't see or control the aperture of the lens, so you have to use the aperture ring to set it).

But, perhaps something "special" is available for Canon EF mount (I don't know) that users may be able to comment on.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 7:12 PM   #4

You are probablybetter off sticking with the M42 lenses. You will want to use the ones with an auto/manual diaphram function (Takumars mostly), otherwise you'll be shooting wide open all the time. The FD to EOS adapters have to use an optical element to get infinity focus. This does not improve quality. Good ones cost $70 to $150. I have seen some $40 cheapies, but they look pretty crude when compared to the now discontinued Canon adapter or the Hama. Conversely you can get a really nice M42 to EOS adapter for about $20.

You can also use P6 and Hasselblad lenses on an EOS. You should see a 180mm f2.8 Sonnar on one! The 80mm Biometar is a very nice portrait lens. The look the Biometar gives is hard to describe,it seemssharp when you look at fine detailbut ithas apleasingly soft ambience, like a hazy summer afternoon.

At any rate, I think you will find that other than EOS lenses used with adapters expands your photographic possibilities for not much money.
oldlincoln is offline   Reply With Quote