Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 30, 2005, 12:44 PM   #11
NHL

Timberland wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, but FF and F2.8 are still a requirement (for me at least). What would you recommend now? Thanks NHL!
Back to square one: The Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX or the Canon 24-70 F2.8 L - Can you give up on HSM focusing? :G
If you really want the ultrasonic AF then get an additional 12-24 EX full-frame and still have change to spare over the L :idea:

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 1:02 PM   #12

NHL wrote:
Quote:
Timberland wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, but FF and F2.8 are still a requirement (for me at least). What would you recommend now? Thanks NHL!
Back to square one: The Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX or the Canon 24-70 F2.8 L - Can you give up on HSM focusing? :G
If you really want the ultrasonic AF then get an additional 12-24 EX full-frame and still have change to spare over the L :idea:
Of course I can give up HSM, it's just that I really like it (now that I have a lens that has got it).How is the focussing speed of the Sigma 24-70 compared to the kitlens? And what about sharpness?

Of course my first choice is the Sigma !

I think you have got almost every Sigma lens :GNHL! And it's great that you are willing to share your experiences! Thanks.
Timberland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 1:23 PM   #13
NHL

IMO it's plenty fast - just noisy plus you're not after action shots with this lens...

It's the full-time manual overide feature of HSM which I don't want to miss - Canon should look at Minolta as an example for this: the full-time manual overide is also built into the body (regardless of the lens!)
Old Oct 1, 2005, 3:21 AM   #14

Some people say that the Sigma 24-60 is actually a better optically lens than the Sigma 24-70 is this thrue?

There are also a lot of votes for the Tamron 28-75, how is this lens compared to the Sigma? I now I've to eventually buy a real wide-angle lens after all...
Timberland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 5:15 AM   #15
NHL

Timberland wrote:
Quote:
Some people say that the Sigma 24-60 is actually a better optically lens than the Sigma 24-70 is this thrue?
I doubt it...
IMO you're confusing it with the 20-40mm f/2.8 EX which is another excellent lens for full-frame, just check their MTF curves. It should be clear to everyone by now that Sigma dominates the super WA zooms arena: They created this segment years ago and continue to improve (or derive) upon the original 15-30 EX which can still hold its own against any manufacturers in this focal range. Theses 15-30 EX remain the workhorse lenses for some of my Nikon friends

Quote:
There are also a lot of votes for the Tamron 28-75, how is this lens compared to the Sigma? I now I've to eventually buy a real wide-angle lens after all...
A member here has done all the work for you, you should thank you him:
http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/24702875

Tamron also makes an excellent 28-105 f/2.8 which is often ignored - I have an older version of that lens for my Minolta 9i which stayed on that camera most of the time (this whole outfit is now stored away in its Halliburton case). Just a word of caution though if I remember correctly this lens will outweights the 24-70 f/2.8... You will 'feel' its quality! At the time I recalled of buying the 'biggest' filter for it, but now it becomes just a standard size if you are used to the Sigma EX's! :lol: