Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 4, 2005, 11:17 PM   #1

Hello every one,

I've been in and out from this forum many times and have read many, many post looking an answer to my question(s).

Got my first SLR (dSLR - Canon Rebel) for about 4 months now and have taken many picture of my baby girl (3785 to be exact).Mostly inside with on-board flash.

Most of the pictures I (we) took is done in "Auto mode" with the lense kit (18-55mm) that came with it.

For that purpose, I'm loving what this camera can do and quitepleased with the results.

There are 2 things that I want to do with this camera.

1. To get a (semi) high power lense so I can shoot my son's high schoolwhen they're at a game.
I'm thinking 28-200mm would do to be about 50-100 yards away.
I SAW THIS ON EBAY.Is thisa good lense, and would be it compatible with my Canon Rebel?

2. And this may be a wishful thinking, but, I would like to take good sharp picture of my kids (indoor and out).
You know? Like some thing you would see in magazine how the pictures looks like it almost come to life?
Can I almost do it with the kit lense that I have?
kondlao is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2005, 8:41 AM   #2

1. I beleive that company is known to making low quality lenses- hence why they're so cheap. If you're on a budget, most people will suggest the sigma 70-300 APO (about $200)

2. This one's a lot harder. This is something that almost solely depends on you, the photographer. Lighting conditions, colouring, pose, background... not part of the camera. A lens will help you in some cases (i.e. background blur, or low light conditions) and flashes will give you some light... but all that stuff is still useless without a photographer.

It's been only a month that I got my new sigma 30... but it feels like such a long time ago when i was using the kit lens... i rarely use apertures lower than 2.8 for portraits, anymore... but the kit lens can do pretty good with daylight... it's quite horrid if you don't use a flash indoors... So as long as you avoid its weaknesses, you can have a shot at that "front cover" photo
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 9:54 AM   #3
NHL

kondlao wrote: The lens you saw on Ebay is an older lens made by Tamron...
http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/a03.asp

... relabeled and warranty/serviced under Ritz and Wolf cameras private label

I concurred with the Sigma 70-300 APO though for the budget long lens

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 12:14 PM   #4

BoYFrMSpC wrote:
Quote:
1. I beleive that company is known to making low quality lenses- hence why they're so cheap. If you're on a budget, most people will suggest the sigma 70-300 APO (about $200)

2. This one's a lot harder. This is something that almost solely depends on you, the photographer. Lighting conditions, colouring, pose, background... not part of the camera. A lens will help you in some cases (i.e. background blur, or low light conditions) and flashes will give you some light... but all that stuff is still useless without a photographer.

It's been only a month that I got my new sigma 30... but it feels like such a long time ago when i was using the kit lens... i rarely use apertures lower than 2.8 for portraits, anymore... but the kit lens can do pretty good with daylight... it's quite horrid if you don't use a flash indoors... So as long as you avoid its weaknesses, you can have a shot at that "front cover" photo
Quote:
Thank you for your replies.
Quote:
I knew there has to be some thing in the skills and abilities of the photographer to get a great shot. Which I have NONE OF!!
Quote:
Aa far as the sigma 70-300 APOlenses go, is there a good place to get it one that would be the cheapiest in price?
Quote:
Any link would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.
kondlao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 1:43 PM   #5

probably a safe bet is sigma4less.com . one of the most cheapest place..

there are very few people that have had issues with this place....
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 9:20 AM   #6

Tamron makes excellent lenses and they are used by amateurs and professionals alike. I've shot magazine and ad layouts with my Nikon F3 and a Tamron 28-200 XR Zoom lens. I've also been commissioned to shoot interior shots by the Nebraska Historical Society and others and also used the lens for that. It performs exceptionally well. Some of their top of the line lenses rival, and exceed those made by camera manufacturers such as canon, nikon and other.. my opinion. Eddy Adams, a well known professional photographer uses Tamron lenses

So I would not be too worried about getting a Tamron lens. Get the newer XR lens though as it is superior built optically and mechanically inside. Tamron has also made lenses for other camera manufactures through the years.

The Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote