Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 6, 2005, 9:22 AM   #1

My new tripod collar, the Sigma TS-41, for the Sigma 120-300 F2.8 finally arrived.
BHphotovideo shipped quickly but got caught up in customs for a couple of weeks
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...amp;sku=335186

What a difference, this is the tripod collar that should come with this expensive lens to start with.

It is:
  • [align=left][/align]
Attached Images

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2005, 9:53 AM   #2
NHL

PeterP

I found the use of this device rather counter intuitive:
1. If you handheld the 120-300 f/2.8 EX, wouldn't it be lighter without a tripod collar?
2. If you flip the tripod collar 180 degree around then the L will be under the body and won't squish your fingers - IMO this a better design than the one on the white Canon since: a) you can't reverse the mounting position, and b) you can't take it off without removing the lens from the camera first!
3. Since the lens/camera combination can be quickly clamped to the tripod on the Sigma, I leave my tripod collar permanently attached to the Bogen - On the 100-400 L, I just don't see the need for the tripod collar and just kept in its box, and leave the extra weight home! :?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 10:16 AM   #3

:blah: With the weight of this lens the addition of a collar is negiigable. :blah:

I do find it much easier to hold the lens by the collar grip than by the lens itself.

I've followed Jim's lead (from his articles) and made a carry belt (work belt and tool pouch). When your arms get tired or you need both hands for something, you just slip the grip into the pouch and you have both hands free. (the neck strap is a safety must :idea.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 1:50 PM   #4
NHL

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
:blah: With the weight of this lens the addition of a collar is negiigable. :blah:
True - however the 'standard' tripod collar has the same weight as a 1.4x teleconverter
... and my bet is the TS-41 has the same weight as the 2x TC! :-) :lol: :G

Slide the longer grip into a pouch hey?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote