Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 7, 2005, 8:01 PM   #1

I just bought a Canon 28-135 USM IS lense for my 350D. Per the manual, the IS gyro is activated when the shutter button is pressed 1/2 way. Upon doing this, I can't hear a gyro fire up or feel any vibrations. I can only hear it if I put my ear right againt the body of the lense. Is the IS suppose to be this inconspicuous? I was kind of expecting to at least feel and/or hear some sort of vibration.

I guess it works- low-light, indoors, 420EX Speedlite flash:

emtp563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2005, 8:25 PM   #2
NHL

emtp563 wrote:
Quote:
I guess it works- low-light, indoors, 420EX Speedlite flash...
With flash you don't need IS!!! :-) :lol: :G

Turn IS off and you won't see a difference with flash
-> the flash strobe pulse is so brief (1/1000th of a second or less) that it will freeze any movement.

If IS works without flash then that would be something... :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 8:44 PM   #3

ok, but is the IS suppose to be so unnoticeable?

Took a pic w/o flash, IS turned on:

IS turned off:

I see no difference at all with IS on or off. I a little disappointed.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 9:57 PM   #4

Well, from the looks of it, it seemed like the place you took a pic of had sufficient light for handholding... either that or i can't really notice because the pictures are sort of small...

try taking a shot that needs, say... 1/10 of a second shutter time...

or if you did take it that low.. or lower... then maybe you went beyond the IS capabilities. It's second gen IS...

if you are going to try again, try the tele end of the lens... it's a lot harder to handhold long-end focal lengths.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2005, 6:03 AM   #5
NHL

emtp563 wrote:
Quote:
I see no difference at all with IS on or off. I a little disappointed.
Did you shake the camera while you take the picture?
-> your handholding technique is too steady (@1/55s - you have to induce it) :-)
... with any luck you might be able to see the slight IS re-adjustment in the viewfinder

Your pictures do illustrate something else though: whenever possible use flash - the resulting images are almost always better because of the resulting contrast/sharpness (see the difference in details on the white column) - The flash will also 'freeze' your active kid but I bet ya IS won't
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2005, 3:23 PM   #6

On my 28-135 the IS gyros/motors are noticable. If you couldn't feel or hear it, then it probably isn't on or something is wrong. (and it looks like you did turn it on by your comments.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 8:20 AM   #7

I've been shooting baseball and football every weekend for 3 weeks now with my new 20D and a Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L USM IS. Most of the shots are taken at 200 with a 250/sec shutter. Even with this though I'd have to assume there'd be some shake shown in at least some of the shots but there is none. For the baseball I'm not panning much at all, but for sure I am with the kids football games. I leave the IS on setting 1 and not 2 even while panning. The interesting thing is that I don't notice any noise, vibration or anything indicating that the IS is working but I'm sure it is based on the results and it's a brand new lens.

Here's a couple of samples, just click on the photo link once there.

http://home.comcast.net/~jlacasci/wsb/index.html

Joe
jlacasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 11:35 AM   #8

jlacasci,
The 70-200's IS is much better than the 28-135. I would expect the IS on that lens to be extremely quiet. It isn't the same in the 28-135. That one you can easily feel and hear when you use it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 2:02 AM   #9

I don't know Eric, I did a little more digging and found that there are not any gyros and/or anything else spinning in this lense. It is a solid-state system with two speaker-coil-like actuators. I've shot a lot with this lense since I got it and there is definitely a difference with the IS on as compared to off.