Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 9, 2005, 12:14 AM   #1

I have said it over & over - I will not buy any EF-s lenses, DC nor Digital only. Problem is I want to go wider than my Canon 20-35, & the Sigma 12-24 is out of my price range right now, & I am not wanting to buy the Canon 10-22 because of the price. Don't know enought about the Sigma 15-30mm, but at least the Tokina 12-24 is f4 all the way. Don't tell me to look at MTF charts - show me some Live images of nature or scenics with the Tokina. I also don't have PS-2 - just Elements 2.0 & I want to upgrade to 4.0 when I can.

Also consider that I am probably going to eventually replace my 20-35 with a Canon 17-40mm 4.0L. Any comments?

Thanks

DH
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2005, 6:35 AM   #2
NHL

FYI - http://www.pbase.com/lou_giroud/tokina
-> It should work better since the crop is smaller on a Canon...

BTW I don't know where you get your pricing but the difference in cost between the 12-24 Tokina and the Sigma is only $60 (from Sigma4less). I have compared the two lenses, and have been recommending several other Tokina ATX lenses on previous postings, but to me the HSM of the Sigma, i.e. their silent ultrasonic drive and full-time manual overide version of USM is worth the $60 difference!

Are you sure the Tokina is a full-frame lens? :idea:
http://www.thkphoto.com/products/tokina/afl-00.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 6:49 AM   #3

Thanks NHL - 2 different camera stores B&H and Canoga Camera list the Sigma 12-24mm @$709.00. The only drawback I see with the Sigma is the fact that it takes 82mm filters & those get rather expensive. However, it will work on my EOS-3.

"The Jury is still out.
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 12:02 PM   #4

The Tokina will mount on full frame. Howevervignetting occurs until about 17mm. Don't recommend using it on full frame since it was designed for APS-C sensor.

Great lens, I love mine. As fast and almost as quiet as quiet as my USM lenses. Only problem is that its not 10mm, but then again its approx $175 cheaper than Canon's 10-22.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 8:39 PM   #5
NHL

Ctrack wrote:
Quote:
... Only problem is that its not 10mm, but then again its approx $175 cheaper than Canon's 10-22.
That's the crux of it!!!
-> and where the full-frame comes in :-)

The EF-S 10mm is really a '16' always cropped whereas with the Sigma EX one get a true 12mm when 'un-crop' :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 1:33 PM   #6
Super Moderator

i have the tokina 12-24 f4 as well.. and love it.. the build quality is a step above the canon 10-22and a half step above the sigma 10-20.. i tested them all out extensively.. the tokina was the sharpest throughout the range.. the canon was a little sharper at 12mm (remember this isn't its extreme), but the tokina was sharper throughout the rest.. the sigma 10-20 is a good choice as well, not quite as sharp in the periphery as the other two, but still very good..

as far as focus speed, with these little lenses moving such short distances, this is really not an issue.. negligeable difference between all 3.. the tokina makes some noise, whereas the others don't, but its a very minimal noise at that..

if you need 10mm, i would recommend the sigma 10-20, as the difference btwn it and the canon were not worth the extra money imo.. but if 12mm is adequate, i found tokina to be the best overall, plus going to 24 makes it work as a walkabout if you don't want to bring a 2nd lens..

in the end, you will be well served with any of these 3 you pick, they are all fantastic lenses imo..

-dustin

p.s. there is also a tamron 11-18, but its overpriced and the one i tested trailed the other 3 optically..

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote