Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 12, 2005, 9:38 PM   #1

Okey dokey. I know there are a ton of lens questions on here, but please bare with me
So I have my Digital Rebel (not the XT) That I've had for over a year now.

I have the kit lens, a Canon 50mm f/1.8 II, and a Canon75-300 f/4-5.6 III (bought for me at walmart as a gift, hehe)

I love the camera. But I'd like to get some sharper everyday pictures. So I'm looking at getting a new walk-around lens. I'd like to stay at or under $600. (I was even considering another smaller point-and-shoot like the canon SD-550, but decided on a new lens for the dSLR instead)

I'm looking for the sharpest lens I can get in that price range. Macro is a plus, wideangle also. Telephoto not so much, but would like to be around 50mm at least.

Given the price, what's the best I can do? Is there somewhere to find sample photos from these lenses?

Thanks for any suggestions.

-Dave

Edit: Never mind. Can someone delete this?
I went with the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8
dpatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2005, 12:55 PM   #2

My suggestion would be tamron 28-75mm f/2.8.
This is really one of the best lenses. the picture quality it terrific.

Please find the attached picture taken with this lens on Rebel XT.

the picture quality is comparable with canon 28-70 f/2.8 L lens.
And its much cheaper 360$ after reabat. The best price for f/2.8 and pic quality.
It has also got some macro capability may be 1:4 iam not sure.

GOOD LUCK

Attached Images

pasu_chennai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 1:24 PM   #3
Super Moderator

if you want wide-angle, then the aforementioned 28-75 will not fit the bill as when the 1.6x crop factor is taken in account, 28 becomes 46ish.. which is not very wide at all...

a few sharp lenses you should do some research on..

tamron 17-35 2.8-4.0.. this is a consistantly sharp lens at a good price..

sigma 18-50 2.8.. this lens is very sharp w/ benefits of constant 2.8 aperture

canon 17-40 4.0.. this is only in your price range if you find a good deal, but this is a terrific all around lens on a aps-sensor size camera..

canon 17-85 IS.. most versatile option, though its a little weaker at the wide angle than the other, maily due to its large zoom range..

good luck and welcome to the forumns.
-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 10:28 PM   #4

Hards,

I have both the Tamron 28-75 and the Tamron 17-35.

Both are very useful lenses.

I like the Tamron 17-35 for group photos, close up's, and tight places like indoors.

I like the Tamron 28-75 because the longer end is useful. Sometimes the 28 with the crop factor bugs me a little, but the grass is always a little greener at the wide end.

Sometimes when I'm using the 28-75 I wish I had a little more telephoto (maybe to 85 or 90) but the grass is always greener at the telephoto end.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd give a slight advantage to the 17-35 although I'd probably risk my life if somebody tried to steal either of them from me .

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 10:38 PM   #5
Super Moderator

i agree terry, they are both useful lenses.. but since the OP stated he wanted some wideangle, i figured he'd be happier being able to go down to 17... but if he were to buy 2 lenses, then by all means snap up both of those gems...
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 10:39 PM   #6

I had the Tamron 28-75mm XR Di lens myself 'til I switched over to the Sigma 18-50mm EX DC f2.8. I needed wide angle more than the long end. When I had both at the time, I found my Sigma to be sharper than my Tamron...another deciding factor for me.

BTW, I don't mean to go off topic...but those looking for a lens may want to consider "used" lenses. Why? Cuz with used lenses, you can request the seller for sample photos. You'd be able to judge whether you'd be getting a sharp copy or not. The second benefit ofcourse is lower price...but that's secondary...the most important is to get a good sharp copy of the lens you want to buy. If you're willing to pay a premium from a local vendor plus tax, you can also try out new lenses before buying. But thru online stores, it's a crap shoot. I don't know of any online store that allow you torequest for a brand new sharp copy of a lens.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 10:59 PM   #7

AlpineMan wrote:
Quote:
I had the Tamron 28-75mm XR Di lens myself 'til I switched over to the Sigma 18-50mm EX DC f2.8. I needed wide angle more than the long end. When I had both at the time, I found my Sigma to be sharper than my Tamron...another deciding factor for me.

BTW, I don't mean to go off topic...but those looking for a lens may want to consider "used" lenses. Why? Cuz with used lenses, you can request the seller for sample photos. You'd be able to judge whether you'd be getting a sharp copy or not. The second benefit ofcourse is lower price...but that's secondary...the most important is to get a good sharp copy of the lens you want to buy. If you're willing to pay a premium from a local vendor plus tax, you can also try out new lenses before buying. But thru online stores, it's a crap shoot. I don't know of any online store that allow you torequest for a brand new sharp copy of a lens.

I considered a used lens, looked around online and found some good prices, but deicded ultimately to go to the local store and try a Sigma on my camera first. I was very pleased with the results, and ended up buying from there. I tell myself it was worth the extra $30 I paid over internet prices.. (notcounting the tax too)heh.

So far I haven't had too much of a chance to gets some good shots with the lens, most my oportunities have been indoors, low light, no flash, handheld... Sooo their is a bit of blur... But this one was taken with the lens, direct from camera with no post-processing. It was just a quick snapshot when the horse stuck his head out of the stall.

http://www.onitap.com/IMG_3664.jpg
iso 100 1/200s f/5.6 38mm

dpatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 9:35 AM   #8
rey

I read about people getting a "bad copy" of a lens. Or at least not as sharp as they had hoped. I've also read about people sending it in to be calibrated for their camera. Can someone explain that further. Do you send it back to the manufacturer and tell them what camera you have? How much does this usually cost? Can I take my lens to a local Wolf/Ritz and have them calibrate it for me?

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 2:25 PM   #9

DPatino wrote:*So far I haven't had too much of a chance to gets some good shots with the lens, most my oportunities have been indoors, low light, no flash, handheld... Sooo their is a bit of blur... But this one was taken with the lens, direct from camera with no post-processing. It was just a quick snapshot when the horse stuck his head out of the stall.I do a lot of low-light, indoor, no-flash shooting with a Canon 70/200L 2.8 on my Digital Rebel with good results. I noticed the info on your lovely horse picture (iso 100 1/200s f/5.6 38mm). You might try raising the ISO to 200 or 400 and increasing the aperture to 2.8. See attached picture. Hope this helps.*
Attached Images

jazzboy is offline   Reply With Quote