Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 19, 2005, 12:06 PM   #1

My new 350D/XT came with the kit lens. I also have a Canon EF 28-90 f/4-5.6 (non-USM, just MM) from my old EOS 300/Rebel 2000 film SLR. How would the 2 lenses compare? I would suppose that since the kit lens is newer, the focusing motor would be faster. But would it also give more superior images? Which would be better for an all-around lens?

BTW, the 28-90 is silver, so I guess it might look a little "off" paired with my black 350D. But if it will be a better lens, it would be acceptable I guess.

Thanks.

KIKO
dockiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2005, 1:56 PM   #2

Either lens will be about the same optically and both are pretty darn cheap, build quality-wise, although I tend to think the 18-55 may be a little better optically if only because it's a little newer design.

The big difference will be in thefocal lengths. The 18-55 will give you the equivalent view you now get with that 28-90 on a film body. Put that 28-90 on a Digital Rebel XT and you will have a 45-144 zoom lens due to the crop factor introduced with the sensor size of Canon's consumer digital SLRbodies, so you'll basically lose all of your wide angle view. Because of this, the 18-55 to mewould be a more versatile lens unless not having a wide angle lens is not a problem for you.

For now, unless you're planning to get a new tele lens I'd just keep both and use the 28-90 when you need a longer focal length than 55mm, although Ibet you'll soon be looking to do better than that regarding a tele lens.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 11:21 AM   #3

Thanks Greg. I was kinda hoping to hear that the 28-90 would give better images than the 18-55 kit lens, considering how much the kit lens has been getting a bad rep as a low quality, cheap lens that produces soft images. Then I'd have something a little better. Guess not
dockiks is offline   Reply With Quote