Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 19, 2005, 2:56 PM   #1

I've just spent a wet weekend testinga fair few Canon Lenses for sharpness and CA using imatest. I've also addedsome TCs in for good measure. If you interested in the results (bear in mind they are all done under the same conditions, so dont't compare against other sites) check the out here:

http://www.eospix.com/content-cat-10.html

BTW,you dont need to register!
jalexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2005, 12:21 PM   #2

What's imatest?

All I see are some pretty graphs in the provided link.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 10:00 AM   #3
NHL

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
What's imatest?

All I see are some pretty graphs in the provided link.
FYI - http://www.imatest.com/docs/tour.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 6:35 PM   #4

Do you think the tests will tell you ultimately if you subjectively like the lense?

For instance, my Tamron 28-75 XR DI probably isn't the sharpest lense out there, nor the most contrasty, but for some reason I love it.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 3:32 AM   #5

No, thats why I have specifically refrained from saying whether I think its good or bad. I just wanted to post a set of measurements (all done under the same conditions)for others to form their own opnions.

An example would be the EF 50 f1.8 mkII. The testsaid is was very soft up to f5.6, but I know lots of guys who love the lens.

Likewise the Sigma12-24 exhibits some serious CA, but again one guy loves it!

You're quite right, at the end of the day its not aboutaload of figures and graphs, its about what you achieve with it.

However, the informationdoes make interesting reading and will let you knowsome limitations. e.g. Your wasting your time putting a Kenko 2x TCon a EF300 or EF70-200and using it wide open. Perhaps this is common knowledge but thetests do back it up!
jalexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 8:25 AM   #6

julexman,

Absolutely, the informaiton your providing is very important.

Interestingly, the manufacturers don't offer up these specs when they sell their lenses (my guess is, however, they are well aware of them!).

I wouldn't doubt that the Canon F1.8 lens would be soft at wider apertures, however your tests confirm it.

I have the Canon 50MM F1.4 which is pretty sharp.

So sharp, I had to change the sharpness setting on my Canon 20D because the in-camera software was serving up an image too soft (cranked up the sharpness a bit).

It would be cool to have one website that covers both the qualitative and quantitative results. One stop lens comparison!

Often I go to PBase just to look at images taken with the proposed camera/lens combination to see if I like the results.

The other day I met a Rebel XT owner who wanted to replace his kit lens. I let him play around with my Tamron 17-35 on my 20D and he was hooked.

-- Terry
Old Oct 24, 2005, 8:25 AM   #7

julexman,

Absolutely, the informaiton your providing is very important.

Interestingly, the manufacturers don't offer up these specs when they sell their lenses (my guess is, however, they are well aware of them!).

I wouldn't doubt that the Canon F1.8 lens would be soft at wider apertures, however your tests confirm it.

I have the Canon 50MM F1.4 which is pretty sharp.

So sharp, I had to change the sharpness setting on my Canon 20D because the in-camera software was serving up an image too soft (cranked up the sharpness a bit).

It would be cool to have one website that covers both the qualitative and quantitative results. One stop lens comparison!

Often I go to PBase just to look at images taken with the proposed camera/lens combination to see if I like the results.

The other day I met a Rebel XT owner who wanted to replace his kit lens. I let him play around with my Tamron 17-35 on my 20D and he was hooked.

-- Terry