Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 27, 2005, 10:58 PM   #1

I am planning on buying some lenses for my 20D. My interests are wildlife and outdoor photography. I would like to get the best quality possible, and have been looking into the Canon 70-200L 2.8 USM IS and the Canon 300L f/2.8L IS USM. As you all probably know, these are quite expensive. I have been looking into the comparable lenses that sigma makes ie. Sigma 70-200f/2.8 EX and the Sigma 300 f/2.8. Does anyone have experience with these lenses and do the sigma lenses that I have mentioned competewith the canonL lenses? Any good reviews that I can read?
torresmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2005, 10:48 AM   #2

I've heard generally good things about the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX. A few people have gotten duds, but the good ones are good.

I have heard nothing about the Sigma 300 f2.8. Sorry, can't help you there.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 11:07 AM   #3

The only way I'd buy another Sigma lens is from a local dealer so I could have access to a quick return/exhange if needed.

I recently purchased a new 20D, I have the Canon L 70-200 f/2.8 IS USMand the L 24-70 f/2.8 USM as well. Both are FANTASTIC!!!! I love the 70-200 and it was well worth the $1700.00 IMHO.

I wanted a 10-24(there abouts)lens to round out my sytem, I was trying to keep all the lens's full frame so I could use them down the road when I eventually get a full frame digi. This limited many of my choices. I decided to try the 12-24 Sigma EX. Ordered it from Sigma4Less at a very, VERY good price. I was not happy with the lens, focus was notnearly as sharp as I expected. Then I read quitea few stories and reviews from folks that had to gothrough a couple or three lenses to get a good one. I sent mine back, they mistakenly sent me another one when I wanted a refund. Sent that one back too.Waiting for my refund once they are back from vacation. In the mean time I got the Canon 10-22(not full frame soI'll have to sell itwhen Igo to a full frame).

I'm not bashing Sigma,some folks haveposted crystal clear shots with this lens. I justcan'ttrust their quality control enough to buy on line.

Joe
jlacasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 11:22 AM   #4

I have the 70-200 2.8 IS lens and the Sigma EX 120-300 2.8 lens. Both are excellent in terms of build, AF speed and photo quality. Obviously the IS lenses are your best choice if you'll be hand-holding most shots. The Sigma 120-300 is bigger and heavier, but has the extra 100mm reach you may need for sports action, etc.

Just depends on what you'll be shooting.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 11:35 AM   #5

Yes, I agree with Walter. It depends on what you are going to shoot, but there is no substitute for IS in these lenses. If you had asked about the Canon 70-200 2.8 vs the Sigma 70-200 2.8, that would be a more difficult call. Both of these lenses perform very very well, although the Canon may have a slight edge, that you will pay dearly for.

The Canon IS version on the other hand, is in a class by itself, and should be your choice if you can afford it. People say that IS may only be good for stationary subjects, but this is not exactly true. Observing the 1/shutter speed rule for hald-holdability, 200mm would require a shutter speed of 1/320 or greater. However, the IS on the 200 will allow you to hand-hold this lens at shutter speeds ranging from 1/40 to 1/80 easily, and this shutter speed is fast enough to capture slow or semi-stationary subjects, like people at a wedding. This is primarily what I use my Canon 70-200IS for, and it is really, really nice to shoot at 1/60 second. This allows me to lower my ISO for better looking images or shoot in lower light without a flash. A non-IS version of this lens would have to bump up the ISO in order to get a shutter speed that is unneccesarily high for these types of shooting situations.

But back to Walter's point, it really depends on what you want to shoot. I shoot lots of things, so there is nothing to compete with the versatility of Canon's 70-200 IS. A fast, long, sharp zoom lens with IS? Worth every penny to me.

Chris M
www.imagineimagery.com

Walter C wrote:
Quote:
I have the 70-200 2.8 IS lens and the Sigma EX 120-300 2.8 lens. Both are excellent in terms of build, AF speed and photo quality. Obviously the IS lenses are your best choice if you'll be hand-holding most shots. The Sigma 120-300 is bigger and heavier, but has the extra 100mm reach you may need for sports action, etc.

Just depends on what you'll be shooting.
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 1:28 PM   #6

Even though I haven't personally used any of these 2 lenses that you mentioned, I have heard very good reviews about them. I am contemplating selling my canon 70-200 f4 for sigma 70-200 f2.8. Regarding 120-300 f2.8, I saw nice comments on naturescapes.net and these guys know what they are talking.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 1:54 PM   #7

I have the sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 along with the sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 and 17-35mm f/2.8-4 and a sigma 1.4x teleconverter to boot. all are very sharp, very good lenses. excellent build quality, and to top it off I bought all brand new for the price of the canon 70-200mm IS. If I had the money for canon L I would not hesitate to buy them, but when I get 3 lenses and a converter for the price of one, my checkbook says sigma.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 3:48 PM   #8
Super Moderator

i have the sigma 80-400 EX OS and its tack sharp, focuses well and is built like a tank..

you may look into the aforementioned 120-3002.8.. this is an absolutely fantastic lens for sports/nature and gives you avery nicerange of focal lengths with aconstant fast 2.8 aperture.. this could easily replace both the 70-200 and a 300.. btw-2 photog buddies have this lens and both copies are sharp as a tack.. very well built as well..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 4:02 PM   #9
NHL

torresmd wrote:
Quote:
I have been looking into the comparable lenses that sigma makes ie. Sigma 70-200f/2.8 EX and the Sigma 300 f/2.8... Any good reviews that I can read?
The 120-300 f/2.8 EX is actually sharper than the Sigma own 300 f/2.8
http://www.shutterbug.net/test_repor...gma/index.html
http://www.hoothollow.com/Tip-December%202003.html
... and cheaper too :idea:

Quote:
Does anyone have experience with these lenses and do the sigma lenses that I have mentioned compete with the canon L lenses?
Yeap - http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=66

It's about the same lenght as an extended EF 100-400, but has taken on too much fat instead... :-)
Attached Images

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2005, 6:57 PM   #10

Hey thanks for all the great info. But I still can't decide. I need a big telephoto or zoom for birds and wildlife. I am hesitant to buy the canon 100-400 becuase I read a review that it wasn't that sharp. Just not sure what to do.
torresmd is offline   Reply With Quote