Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 29, 2005, 8:19 PM   #1

Before purchasing the Canon 17-85, I was interested in shopping around price and optics-wise, but it seems there aren't very many lenses in that range. They either stop too short or crank out too far. I've noticed Tamron's got a newer 18-200 lens. I'm afraid these compromise optics with a stretch like that (or at least they're too heavy to lug around). Why so few in that particular range?
jpistone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2005, 9:29 PM   #2

Relax... you made a great choice in the 17-85. It's a terrific everyday "carry around lens". I use mine about 80% of the time. My other high use lens is the EF 70-200 f/4L.

Lenses with really long zoom ranges generally sacrifice something on each end. There's no perfect lens and certainly no single lens solution.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 6:20 AM   #3
NHL

IMO there's too many choices in this range: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic2/143791
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 9:14 AM   #4

Thanks to the both of you! My search was for an unfactored range of 28mm (before noticeable fisheye) to about 105mm (portrait), which meant getting a 17-65mm zoom...I just had trouble finding something in that range. Yes, Wildman, I'm very happy with the canon lens and may well have gotten it even if there were more to chose from...great pictures NHL.
jpistone is offline   Reply With Quote