Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 29, 2005, 9:47 PM   #1

I have been trying to decide between the Canon Rebel XT and the Panasonic FZ30. If I were to buy the Rebel XT what lens would be equal to the lens on the FZ30.

I have an Olympus C-210012x Zoom digital camera already and I do use it a lot for nature photos and my sons hockey games. I am not impressed with the quality of the photos in the hockey rinks but it takes nice outdoor photos and the zoom has always gotten me close enough to my subject.

Is there a lens that is equivalent to a 12x zoom that would take better indoor sports photo's? :? I have never used a SLR camera.
odeaqh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2005, 11:58 PM   #2

Would the Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Lens be OK to take photos in a hockey rink from the stands?
Old Oct 30, 2005, 1:19 AM   #3

you will get an equivilent range of about 36 - 300 with that lens.I think the FZ30 has a 35mm range of near 430mm. So no, it will not be the same range. They are really 2 different cameras. In order to get an equivilent range you will need to spend much more on the rebel The lens you list is both shorter in focal length and has an apeture that will not open up enough to let in light as much as the FZ30. (f3.3 vs F6.3) To shoot indoor sports you want a lens that will open up big, something like F2.8. On the plus side for the rebel, the image quality will be superior to the panasonic. You can boost the iso up to 1600 and look as good/bettor than the ISO 400 on the panasonic. SO i think in the end, like all things, it comes down to money. To get the focal lengths and fast lens for the rebel, you are looking at at least 1500 dollars for the body/lens. Compared to 500 for the panasonic. The rebel will be superior, but costly.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 1:44 AM   #4
Super Moderator

The point really for the XT is that the lenses are interchangeable, so you don't have to stick with just 1 lens.

You don't have to spend huge money to get a 2-lens combo that will cover a very good range.

For example the 18-55 kit lens + Sigma 70-300 f4 -5.6 APO DG Macro (~$220) gives you an EFL coverage of 28-480mm which is significantly more than the 35-420mm EFL of the FZ30.

The Sigma has a max aperture of 5.6 v 6.3 and a usable ISO of 1600 v 400, so at the telephoto end you will have 50mm more reach plus an extra 2.5 stops of light to work with.

You also get 28mm EFL v 35mm EFL at the wide end which is quite a big difference.

But the whole joy (and financial danger) of an SLR is that you have an enormous range of lenses to choose from. You could go for big fast and expensive too.

You could try NHL's favourite Sigma 120-300 f2.8 which would allow you to get photos with the XT that you couldn't even dream of with the Panasonic.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 10:55 AM   #5

Thanks for the help. I think I will buy the Rebel instead of the FZ30. I just need to find a lens that won't break me and will be good enough to get started.

Do you think I could use the SIGMA24-135mm f2.8-4.5 IF Autofocus Lens to get me started with hockey and outdoor horse photos? I am not ready for the NHL just my sons youth hockey games.

What lens do you think would be a good starter lens that I could use for sports and horses? Unfortuantely I don't have $2000 to spend on a lens.