Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 30, 2005, 1:30 PM   #1

My son is interested in the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM for use with a film camera now and a DSLR in the future.

Since he would use it in a variety of situations, some of which require following rapid action, he asks if this lens offers a way to shut off the IS when it would interfere with the task at hand.

What is the answer?

------------ Bill
BillP2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2005, 2:21 PM   #2

On off switch on lens. Most of the older IS lenses do not work well when used with tripods. Some lens manufacturers ask that the IS feature be turned off. Hope you are referring to the new EF 70-300 IS USM. The new lens features IS 2 but I still think they recommend turning the IS off for tripod use.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 5:16 PM   #3

You can turn it off, as has been said above.
If it has a mode-2 (which I think that lens has) then you can switch the lens to remove shake only in the up-down direction. So you can switch it to that mode if you are hand-holding the lens.

If you have one of the much newer IS systems, you can still use it on a tripod. I know I do. The only time I've ever had trouble with IS was when I was testing my lens indoors, taking a picture of a lens test chart. The camera was so steady that the IS system was confused... the image in the view finder was sliding to the upper right. It was really weird.

Personally, I've taken pictures in mode 1 (removing shake in all directions) while on a tripod and never had it cause a problem that I've noticed.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 7:54 PM   #4

Thank you both for the information.

This is just what I wanted to know.

------------- Bill
BillP2R is offline   Reply With Quote