Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 10, 2005, 10:46 AM   #11

You can get a cool effect with live music and flash. Try this, even with your builtin flash: Set the mode to Manual, say 1/30 at f2.8 (or your lowest aperture), and turn the flash on. You might want to dial down the Flash Exposure Compensation to reduce that "flash" look, and also set your flash to 2nd curtain sync...

Now think of this as 2 exposures. The first exposure is the 1/30th of a second while the shutter is open but before the fash goes off. This will expose the background, plus any lights or reflections in the scene, and will show movement (This is the cool part of the effect). Also, the higher your ISO, the more background will be recorded... Then, at the end of the exposure, the flash fires (2nd curtain sync). This should be just enough flash to freeze and expose the foreground (hopefully the musician).

Here are a couple examples:

Chris M
www.imagineimagery.com

mikeadams1985 wrote:
Quote:
fancy teaching me how to use flash then

Im desperate to learn as the flash will greatly help me.

Ill post 2 pictures ive took with flash and without in the same place.

then you can c what i mean about not liking to use flash.
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 10:56 AM   #12

Also, Mike, here are some examples of the 50mm 1.8 at a show. I was standing right behind the band for most of these, so I was really close. I did not use flash for this first one, but I had the lens wide open and ISO 1600 for most of them I think... The last two I was using the Rebel XT builtin flash, and I processed w/Noise Ninja as well..I believe this is the lens you want considering your needs and your budget:

Hope this helps...

Cheis M
www.imagineimagery.com

Old Nov 10, 2005, 12:13 PM   #13

so chris...what you where saying is like...

I take a picture with the shutter open with no flash...but just as its about to close it takes a flash and i geta well lit but contain the atmosphere?

i like that idea!

oooo got sooo much to read, found a great site on concert photography.

http://www.photo.net/concerts/mirarchi/concer_i

Very usefull to me, so might help others to.

thanks for all the feedback over this!
the more input the better tho

thanks again!
mikeadams1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 12:37 PM   #14

how do i set my flash to 2nd curtain sync?

im using a 350d

i can set my shutter to 2nd curtain sync but cannot find the function for flash 2md curtain sync.

Any help much appreicated
mikeadams1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 12:58 PM   #15

mikeadams1985 wrote:
Quote:
how do i set my flash to 2nd curtain sync?

im using a 350d

i can set my shutter to 2nd curtain sync but cannot find the function for flash 2md curtain sync.

Any help much appreicated
Mike, I don't have my 350D in front of me, but I think you've found the "2nd curtain" setting I was referring to... And as to clarify on the technique I was referring to: Set the camera in M mode, and pop up the builtin flash (or power on your external flash)...

Normally, when using flash, the flash fires at the beginning of the exposure, then the shutter stays open for the duration of the shutter speed setting. This can create movement trails in front of your subject, which can look unnatural. "2nd curtain sync" simply tells the flash to fire at the end of the exposure (2nd curtain) instead. This records the movement and the ambient atmosphere, then finally fires the flash to expose the subject in the foreground. This makes the movement look more natural.

I would recommend practicing this technique at home, with your friends, your dog, etc., at night...

Finally, a 420EX flash unit with a Stofen Omnibounce diffuser will give you a much more natural look than the builtin flash unit. This is much less expensive than the 580 model, but less than half the price as well. The main difference between the two is recycle time.

Chris M.
http://www.imagineimagery.com