Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 10, 2005, 7:32 AM   #11

hee hee, too funny Peripatetic....
I'm the L snob (me me me) I'll take that one.

Though haven't done any war coverage recently making me all soft centredon you guys.Glad about that though really.

How about this one

The Mr congeniality type - gives the best advice to keep everyone happy (you you you) :blah::-). Still not a bad tag to have.

Quote:
Yah, there are two types on this forum, Tamron types and Sigma types.
This is really funny also considering its so true yet this is a Canon Lens Forum, haha, and why in the end I did my LBoy parody a few months back, to bring some balance back to the force. That was soooo funny.... you guys got so mad. :blahops

Ok here are a few more:

The Data type - Reads and knows everything about photography but never takes a shot.

The Giedi Prime type - owns and carries every prime on the market.

The Super Wide Boy type - who thinks there's only one photograph worth taking.

The Serial Poster - Answers every post with one of 5 pre-determined answers.

The Modulation Transfer Function type - Basically talks rubbish all the time.

Ok back to the thread question.

Heey Mesmerized, I think your missing what staring you right between the peepers. You have said your very happy with the current lens you have. This is because its a prime and it lets in the level of light that is conducive to the conditions you are shooting in... right ?

Therefore buy yourself a wider prime. EF 24mm f1.4 L .. that should do it :-)Or there are a number of others too less expensivethat are wider than your current lens. I think you will be unhappy with 2.8 from any manufacturer anyway. Look you have an SLR, use it to its advantages. its not a hassle keeping a second lens in you pocket. Takes all of 3 secs to change. I know people will say you can loose the shot during the change, but you will loose a lot more due to blur with the zooms using 2.8 in low light.

Anyway its another option to think about. Definitely my route in this situation.

LB.
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 1:16 AM   #12
Super Moderator

you forgot one

the Sigman:blah:
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 9:52 AM   #13

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
Yah, there are two types on this forum, Tamron types and Sigma types.

The f2.8 junkie. (Who needs gym anyway.)
What is a 2.8 junkie? Someone who wont get any lens that stops above 2.8?

Whats wrong with that, if they are shooting low-light stuff all the time?

??
photov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 1:41 PM   #14

well, they tend to avoid slow lens, even when there's IS...

i don't think there's anything wrong with that... i'd like to be one of them but i have the kit lens...

1.8 vs 2.8?

this is a very rough test... i've just taken out my camera (with the sigma 30 f/1.4)

iso 1600 in a flouresent lit room, the suggested time shutter when at f/2.8 varies from 1/250-1/320.

at 1.8, it stays at 1/800

BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 4:00 PM   #15
NHL

There's several benefits to be a 'fast' lens junkie (on top of building up the muscles...): :blah:
1. f/2.8 or larger enable the high precision AF sensor on the camera - I just realize how critical this is after I tested several lenses with standard charts -> this is also critical for #2 below
2. Shallower DOF
3. Extra margin: a lens get better when it get stop-down couple of stops, i.e. f/5.6 - guess where you'll be if you start with f/5.6 initially?
... And lastly a brighter viewfinder also helps when you put on that polarizer :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 4:28 PM   #16

Here's a few more types:

The "I've got cash" photographer -Carries the latest camera bodies and expensive lenses, but gets only a few "lucky shots" per outing.

The "smug high IQ type" - Always seems to have the right equipment and never makes a buying mistake. Makes your investment look like rubbish and you wishyou spent your money as wisely ashim. He's always wearing shirts with collars and a sweater (in Northern climates) and manages to cut off the conversation before you're ready to.

The "I don't know what I have" photographer - is lucky if he/she understands 10 percent of what a camera can do (often wears sunglasses while shooting).

As for me, I'm a Tamron & F2.8 bigot who is very jealous of the "ive got cash" types and feel very intimidated when I meet the "smug high IQ" types.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 12:38 AM   #17

Im the F2.8 Junkie with a hint of the L bigot, I love my Tameron 28-75 F2.8 and LOVE my 70-200 F2.8L, but my next lens will be an L Series cuz no one else makes anything close to an 85mm F1.2L for next year senior pics
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 6:58 AM   #18
NHL

VictorEM83 wrote:
Quote:
... but my next lens will be an L Series cuz no one else makes anything close to an 85mm F1.2L for next year senior pics
Why just f/1.2 (and too tight for portraits on a cropped camera)?

The trick is to find one of theses... :lol: :-) :G: http://cweb.canon.jp/ef/lineup/standard/ef50_f1l/
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 12:59 PM   #19
Super Moderator

good luck finding one of those... and then paying for it!! what a monster, though they are capable of incredible results..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 8:26 PM   #20

I know those types, Terry! And I'mbecoming Tamron & F2.8 bigot ! :?
mrcoons is offline   Reply With Quote