Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 8, 2005, 8:34 AM   #1

hi guys, like the title says what do you think about the above mentioned lens. i want to get a 350D with a general walkaround lens that would perform good in low light the canon options are bit expensive for me right now but hopefully in a few months time i'll be able to get something in the L range ..

but for now will the above lens suffice?

my main subjects are cars /car shows/drag racesand almost 75% of pics are at night.

thanks for reading and any advice you may give .
Tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2005, 10:13 PM   #2

It's not very wide on the xt (about 38mm) and f4 at 135mm is not really fast either.
Sigma 18-50 f2.8 is very good but might not be long enough for what you want to do. You might want to look at a fast telephoto prime for night-time drag racing.
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 6:35 AM   #3
NHL

IMO jacks is correct - Isn't a drag car something quite long?

You'll be running into several issues with the lens above:
1. Up close a 24mm lens is not wide enough, you'll need at least an 18mm as recommended to capture the whole car - An example of a long crew boat with a 12mm:

2. A 135mm might be too short when you're behind the pit or the stands - fast primes longer than 200mm for low-light are also not cheap. One affordable lens that I can think of is the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX which you can extend with a TC if needed, but then again the 100-300 f/4 EX is priced even less than a 70-200 f/2.8 EX with a 1.4x TC and is one of the sharpest lens in the Sigma line-up...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:41 AM   #4
Super Moderator

i'd say a combo of say

17-85 IS
and
sigma 100-300 f4

would be about perfect
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 11:39 AM   #5

hey guys sorry for the late reply, but thanks all for your replies .. before jumping right into SLR's i decided to checkout how things are done at the track by professionals now i dont know if their hiding their trade secrets or whatever but alot said that drag race photography is hard no matter what equipment you have.

that coming from a person whose got no less than 5000$ worth of equipment around his neck and from what i saw even more stuff in his bag was really disheartning . lol i think i'll take the 350 with something like a50mm 1.8 and hope for the best . hehehe
Tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 5:23 AM   #6

Tyrant wrote:
Quote:
hey guys sorry for the late reply, but thanks all for your replies .. before jumping right into SLR's i decided to checkout how things are done at the track by professionals now i dont know if their hiding their trade secrets or whatever but alot said that drag race photography is hard no matter what equipment you have.

that coming from a person whose got no less than 5000$ worth of equipment around his neck and from what i saw even more stuff in his bag was really disheartning . lol i think i'll take the 350 with something like a50mm 1.8 and hope for the best . hehehe

Sounds like he didn't want competition :-)
MeanGreeny is offline   Reply With Quote