Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 16, 2005, 10:25 AM   #1

I have to say after reading all of the posts about all of the different lenses my head is just spinning. Seems like there are quality issues and people have to return them and get another lens.

I am kind of worried about this. As an amatuer how will I KNOW if I've gotten a bad lens? I have read the reviews on the different ones I am considering and my eyeballs are about to fall out, hahaha

canon 50mm 1.8 (would this be good for indoor basketball?) am not sure how much I will use it, but reviews say it's good but very flimsy in build but for the price, at least it's a bargain!!

as for the telezooms:Canon
70-200 f/4 or the new 70-300 IS (like the extra reach)

but am worried at that price of getting a bad copy and not knowing it. what would I look for to know that it's bad?

Would be used for outdoor sports, misc. things, I take pictures of a lot of different subjects. I currently have a Tamron 28-200mm that I have had for years with my 35mm camera and have always been pleased with the results.
dragonluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2005, 12:17 PM   #2
Super Moderator

honestly, don't worry about your lenses.. there are more good copies out there than bad, its just the ppl that get a bad copy, well they tend to be more vocal about it.. if you get what you expect, you have no reason to say anything right?

the 50 1.8 is a little short for most basketball situations..

i would get the 70-200 f4, its built better, faster, and the front element doesn't rotate during focus.. the af speed is faster as well as it has the ring type USM motor versus the smaller micro-USM..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 4:25 PM   #3

what other lens would you suggest for the basketball (I'm on the sidelines/floor area, no bleachers)

is that f/4 lens a heavy one to lug around? I figure it's most likely going to be on the camera most of the time and I want to be able to carry it comfortably.

You're always so helpful, I appreciate it! :-)
dragonluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 10:23 AM   #4

I might have been one of the folks that you are talking about with getting a lens that I wasn't happy with... That being said, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Although I wasn't happy with my Sigma 10-24 lens this is a tough lens to make. I just got unlucky and Sigma4less did take care of me with no problems. Just a little slow due to holidays. Anyway, I've been shooting a lot of sports shots football, baseball and will be doing basketball for the next several months. I've taken my 70-200 f/2.8 Is and f/2.8 24-70 to a couple of practices and I'll probably end up shooting more with the 24-70. This is just kids and I can move around pretty freely. I found that the action could get too close with the 70-200 at times (just not enough room behind the baskets either).

Joe
jlacasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 4:52 PM   #5

I shoot indoor college hoops and have been doing it for a few years with a point and shoot. You can imagine what that resulted in

I just ordered a Canon Digital Rebel XT and for my basketball lens, I ordered a Canon 100m f 2.0. I also ordered the 50mm 1.8 because at 65 bucks you almost cant not buy one

All of my research, and my friend Dustins tutelege, shows me that the secret to quality action shots in low light is a good low light lens. The 50 1.8 would be good if you are close to the action and the 100 2.0, with the 1.6 crop is actually a 160 so shooting from 50 - 70 feet should be fine. Unless the gym is VERY well lit, I dont know that I would take pictures that matter with anything less than an f 2.8 lens.
davidreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 2:30 PM   #6

Mattering on the shots the 70-200 IS is common place in basket ball if your on the end you want to be shooting for the far end of the court the you would need to look into the 300mm lens or longer.

Also I wouldnt buy an F4 lens or slower for sports the extra stop/s in a poorly lit area are well worth it.
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 5:15 PM   #7

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
honestly, don't worry about your lenses.. there are more good copies out there than bad, its just the ppl that get a bad copy, well they tend to be more vocal about it.. if you get what you expect, you have no reason to say anything right?

the 50 1.8 is a little short for most basketball situations..

i would get the 70-200 f4, its built better, faster, and the front element doesn't rotate during focus.. the af speed is faster as well as it has the ring type USM motor versus the smaller micro-USM..
I just have to second these comments. "Bad lens copy" is a phobia that is generally a result of spending too much time reading user equipment forums and less time out taking pictures. Not to say that they aren't out there, but a high, high percentage of lenses fall within acceptable parameters, obviously.

Or to put it another way, there are a lot more bad photographers out there than there are bad lenses. (Hey , that's pretty good. I should add that statement to my signature!)

And, if you are concerend about image quality, get the best lenses you can afford. I do this to save myself the agony of thinking that there may be something better out there...

Hope this helps. Take care.

Chris M
www.imagineimagery.com

ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 3:43 AM   #8
Super Moderator

ChrisDM wrote:
Quote:
Or to put it another way, there are a lot more bad photographers out there than there are bad lenses.
That's very good!

And I would agree too. There may indeed be a few bad lenses out there, but almost without exception when you see the photos published by people who believe they have one and go through 3 or 4 lenses to find one they like, the tests are essentially arbitrary and the results could be explained by them finally taking some shots that they liked.

Now bad lenses probably come in bad batches so for those few occasions it may well be that a single shop gets a bunch of them.

Mistakes in testing include: not using tripods, not metering accurately, not understanding how the AF system of the camera works, and in particular how zooming on a fixed target might cause different AF points to be activated, not comparing AF and manual focus results, and so on.

With every lens I've bought it's quite amazing how the performance of the lens improves as I practice with it, think about my poor shots, and learn how to use it within its design parameters.

99% of "I've got a bad copy" complaints boil down to:

"I've just spent a fortune on a new lens and my photography hasn't improved, in fact I'm getting even worse results than with my trusty XXX which I've been using for ages, so there must be a problem with the new lens!"

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 6:52 AM   #9
NHL

One thing I would like people to explain is how do one get a 'bad' lens when it's the camera that does the focusing (by looking through the lens)?

Now centering issue is more prevalent in a lens, but almost no one tests for this problem... :?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 12:53 AM   #10
Super Moderator

my favorite is when they complain of inconsistant focusing wide open near close focusing distances with a fast lens.. and they do the test sans tripod!! and then wonder why it gets better when they stop down....
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote