Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 26, 2005, 3:41 PM   #1

I've got a couple of Canon lenses I'm looking to sell. Other than ebay and FM, does anyone have any suggestions on where I should list/post them?
24Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2005, 10:10 AM   #2

What's wrong with ebay?

I have sold three Cannon lenses on there and have got at least what I paid for them and in one case I got 30% more than the brand new price.

You can't complain at that
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2005, 12:55 PM   #3

Which lenses are you planning on selling?
torresmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2005, 12:58 PM   #4

Yes, which lenses you are wanting to sell do make a difference.

If you're looking to dump an el cheapo 28-90 don't expect much anywhere. If, on the otherhand, it's a 24-70/2.8 or 100-400L I absolutely recommend a volume site like eBay.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2005, 10:03 PM   #5

I've got a mint 75-300 IS USM to sell. I may also be selling a 135 SF f2.8.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 12:49 AM   #6

I would definitely recommend, for both of those lenses, a high volume site like ebay.

The 135 SF is going to be a niche item, but there are people out there who will want one. They just need to "find" your lens.

The 75-300 IS lens should be a good second-hand lens to sell, but what they are worth today now that the newer 70-300 IS lens is out is hard to say. I would check eBay out. Look for auctions currently being held and look at ones just completed to see what it's fetching. Everything I've read about the new lens is that it is a better performer at 300mm and the newer version of image stabilization is so much betterthan the old lensthat many will be dumping their 75-300lenses (like you?) in order to get the new, better model. Some however, won't want to pay the $200 premium being charged for the new lens, at least at first. The new lens will, eventually (I think) drop in price, so the time to try and move the old lens may be now but you need to see what's going on and be realistic in your expectation as to what to expect to get.

I always list my equipment on eBay (under gregm61) where it starts andgoes over a fullweekend early so it'll get a lot of looks, then finishes later the next week. You may not see bids at first, but many will list it in their items to follow and, if it's a wanted item, the bids will come later. I never list an item with a reserve and usually pass on things that do have an unknown reserve- this is strictly a personal decision, but I think many people pass on such items, too, and I don't want to put someone off. There are very few "sweet" deals on eBay any more, especially when it comes to Canon EF equipment. One additional thing- post images of your item that are in focus. Bad pictures are worse than no pictures.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 1:00 AM   #7

Just for grins, I went to eBay and looked for a 75-300IS lens. I selected the lenscatagory and typed "75-300 Canon" to see what would come up and checked it by soonest to end. With three days left, someone has an auction currently at $475, which is just, in my opinion, incredible- but that's what happens on eBay. Things like availability on the new market also affecta lenslike this. I've not checked, but if the new lens (or even the old one)is hard to find new, people will over-bid on a nice, used one. There's just no explaining what goes on with eBay auctionssometimes, and no guarantees, either.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 10:25 AM   #8

Greg - thanks so much for your thorough reply. I don't have much experience selling on ebay. What about payment? I have received paypal payments in the past but have always been confused on whether or not I could get charged back for someone using a fraudulent account. Twice I sold stuff to someone who hasan unverified address and I was confused about fraud. Ultimately the sales were OK but the paypal help/FAQ's on the issue are worthless.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 2:22 PM   #9

Unverified addresses can be a little sticky point, although I will say I have requested delivery to my office instead of myhome since that's where I'm at during the day, I can understand others making the same request. So far I've had no problems sending items to unverified addresses. One time I requested delivery tomy office and the seller refused, which I had no problem with since they were covering their backside in addition to protecting me.Many people do only deliver to verified addresses and that is one way to guarantee you won't get caught. It is an issue to consider. If you do decide to only deliver to verified addresses, just be sure and say so in the ad so you have something to fall back on if someonerequests delivery somewhere else. If they are legit, they should understand. If they don't, you probably don't want to be selling to them anyway.In the end I just make a judgement call based on the buyers feedback and I have been fortunate that everything has always worked out.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 2:35 PM   #10

Good tips. Thanks again Greg.:-)