Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 27, 2005, 10:41 AM   #1

Hi,

I bought a Canon 350D a few months ago (my first digital SLR), & have just got a Tamron 28-300 XR Di Macro lens for it.

My question is which lens is the best for 28-55mm range, i.e. the Tamron lens orthe kit lens (18-55mm) that came with the camera?

My other question is that I have a UV filter which I was advised to leave on my lens all of the time.Was this advise correct for all shooting conditions, or should I only use it in bright sunlight?

Many thanks

Glenn

sxxu08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2005, 10:44 AM   #2

I don't know about that Tamron lens specifically, but considering the wide zoom range of that lens, I would assume the image quality from the kit lens would be better. Image quality usually suffers as the range of a lens increases. That's why pro lenses usually cover a shorter range of focal lengths, such as 24-70 or 70-200...

Speaking of, I would recommend the Tamron 28-75 for that range. It will put either of the lenses you mentioned to utter shame in terms of image quality, especially at wider apertures (It is failrly sharp at 2.8), and only costs about $350. An amazing bargain considering its speed and image quality...

And yes, it is generally a good idea to keep UV filters on all the time for protection, unless you are really careful with them... I use them because I will shoot in fast environments and may throw a lens into the bag quickly without realizing the lens cap may be in my pocket. And finally, don't put a cheap filter on a good lens. I like the Hoya HMC line of filters. The multi-coating reduces flare. "A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link" is generally true in this case.

Hope this helps.

Chris M
www.imagineimagery.com

ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 3:34 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice.
sxxu08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 6:37 PM   #4

I never use a UV filter for protection and most pro's I know don't use one either.

They simply treat their lenses with respect and get 20 years use out of them.

Get yourself a $5 lens cleaner kit, and keep your lens cap on, and your camera in your
bag when your not using it, and you should be all set.

Oh yah, always wear the strap around your neck even if your only picking up your camera for a second -- might save you from a "drop" one day.

I can't tell you how many times I see amateurs with expensive cameras running around with their cam in their hand and the strap dangling uselessly towards the ground.

Or leaving their camera on the counter for a few days out of the case and no lens cap. The dust will soon render the camera a piece of junk.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 10:15 PM   #5

I have both the tamron 28-75 and the 17-35.

They are both excellent lenses for a 350D.

I probably use the 17-35 more because I'm a wide angle fanatic, but the 28-75 is a very sweet lens too.

The 17-35 costs more than the 28-75.

Personally I'd opt for Tamron.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 9:46 AM   #6

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:

Oh yah, always wear the strap around your neck even if your only picking up your camera for a second -- might save you from a "drop" one day.

or wrap the strap around your arm - somethin i have to do, got my nape pierced so i cant have the strap around me neck

Bottom line , make sure u can catch it if it falls!!

....and thats all i have to say in this thread

mikeadams1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 9:51 AM   #7

The other protection for your lens is a lens shade. That will protect it from damage as well as from flare. The UV filter thing is an old wives tale. If you are careless with your camera gear, you're going to break it one way or another. I had a UV filter on my Nikon 50mm F1.4 for 25 years. The filter was in like new condition when I took it off, so from what did it protect the lens?

The pros and advanced amateurs I know all echo Terry's advice. Take care of your gear. Don't add useless glass to the light path. They all use lens hoods all the time, though, and so do I.

28mm is a tough breaking point on a 1.6 crop factor camera. That 45mm equivalent FOV is one I cross back and forth over all the time when shooting, as I frequently take a wide angle and telephoto from the same spot. For you, that means a lens change, since 28mm is not wide angle on your camera. Frankly, I think you may have bought the wrong Tamron lens. The 18-200 would have given you a true all-purpose "walkaround" lens. 300 isn't long enough for much wildlife anyway.

What do I use? Lots. Mostly, though, when travelling light, I'll take the 17-85mm IS and 100-400LIS plus the Canon 1.4xII extender. I am a believer in IS lenses. The 17-85 (27-136 equivalent FF FOV) takes 80% of my pictures.

Bill
wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote