Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 28, 2005, 7:06 PM   #1
Super Moderator

ok, so i need some faster lenses.. i have enough zooms to cover me from 12-400, but now i need some low light shallow dof primes..

i am set on these so far..

Canon 50 1.4
Canon 85 1.8

now i just need a wider lens.. and this is where it gets hard because anything less than the 24 1.4L is not stellar on the reviews.. here are my choices thus far..

Canon 28 1.8 USM- good focal lenght, fast USM, but sketchy reviews on corner and CA

Canon 20 2.8 USM- like the focal length, fast USM, but not as fast and i already cover 20mm at f4..

Canon 35 2.0- a bit long and redundant with a 50mm and that motor is just terrible.. but better optically..

Canon 24 2.8- good focal length, good optics.. bad motor, not as fast as i would like..

Canon Sigma 30 1.4- a tad long.. very FAST.. good center sharpness.. iffy on the corner performance, expensive and its a darn Digi-only lens..

i am leaning towards the 28 1.8 right now as it is FAST, a decent focal length and is FF capable..

let me know your thoughts if you have any..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2005, 7:47 PM   #2

I am in the same spot you are in. I have concidered all the same lenses and am leaning toward the 28mm 1.8 also. I like the 1.4 of the sigma, but have also heard it is soft around the edges. The 35 2.0 is an old design and performs as such. If you have a large budget you could go with the 35 1.4 L, but it is way out of my price range right now along with the 24mm 1.4 L. So it looks like the 28mm f1.8 for me, about $50 cheaper than the sigma 30mm and from what I've heard it is sharper to boot. I already have the 85mm 1.8 and love it, and I have the cheaper 50mm 1.8, but for $75 it is hard to beat.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 8:23 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Caboose,

if i had a large budget, there would be no contest, i would have a 24 1.4L..

i havereceived some advice from a few other forums and have seen some good examples from the 28 1.8.. so right now i think i am leaning there..

-dustin
Old Nov 29, 2005, 1:23 AM   #4
Super Moderator

I'm sure you know I was in the same position earlier this year.

I'm not a massive fan of the 50mm EFL, to me 40mm is about perfect as a "normal" lens. 35 is a bit wide.

So that points directly to the 24L, but it was too expensive for me too.

So I went for the 28 1.8. (EFL 45mm)

The focus is extremely quick, even in low light.

The build quality is nice, it feels just great on the 20D, better than any other lens I have.

Allegedly it's soft at f1.8. So what? If you're shooting at f1.8 your DOF is extremely shallow anyway, if you're shooting wide open the light is poor and you're probably indoors taking pictures of people.

How many people really want that degree of sharpness in portraits? Gee those are lovely pores, and look at those lines around my eyes. See my point?

Also it's performance is worst at the edges and we crop those on the 20D anyway. If you want it to be sharp you can shoot at f8 or something.

This is my #1 snapshot lens. Put the camera in Av or P mode, look lift and shoot. Fantastic.

I'm sure the Sigma 30mm would be fine too, but it wasn't available when I was looking, and it's just a bit further away from 40mm EFL that I'd really like.

And I'm sure you've seen some of my keepers with it at http://vanderwooks.blogspot.com

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 8:57 AM   #5
NHL

Hards80

I have the 50mm f/1.4 - I don't believe you gain much for the cost:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=65
+ the last time I use this lens for a lens comparison it showed considerable CA @ wide open)

The 85mm f/1.8 is also excellently priced - I have the older 85mm f/1.2 as well, but don't do much studio work anymore, beside for outdoor portrait my 120-300 f/2.8 have a shallower DOF at 300 wide open and a more pleasing bokeh!

... I also agree with peripatetic - I usually mask out the eyelashes, lip, and hair to retain their sharpness but perform a gaussian blur on the facial skin :-) :lol: :G
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 10:07 AM   #6

I'd go for the 28 f/1.8. Sigma makes both a 24mm and 28mm f/1.8thatare pretty comparable to the Canon, although they don't have HSM and are rather larger for their focal length.

I love my 30 f/1.4, but I will admit that I too am not100% happy, since it is a DC lens. I almost tried slapping it on a 5D before I remembered. :O
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 11:58 AM   #7
Super Moderator

thanks guys..

craig- i was counting on a reply from you, i remembered you talking about the 28 1.8 a few months ago, but couldn't find the post.. i am with you on the corner sharpness wide open, whenever am i going to need the corners to be tack sharp at f1.8.. more than likely as you say you are doing some kind of selective focus whether it be a portrait or what not and the corner is way oof anyways.. plus it seems to be quite good in the center at 1.8.. so right now that one is the top of the list.. thanks

NHL- i have the 50 1.8mk1 right now.. have had it for years.. and while its a good lens in its own right, i really like USM on my primes.. and it tends to hunt in low light, where i use it most.. but the 50 will probably be the last on the list as i already have it covered..

SlapnTickle- the 30 1.4 sounds pretty good, but i want my primes to be FF.. i expect to keep them indefinately and you never know i may add a 5d to my arsenal someday..

-dustin
Old Dec 1, 2005, 11:35 AM   #8

Hey Dustin, I had the 24mm 2.8 and it was a great lens. I sold it because I didn't really use it, and was funding another purchase (I've since learned to stop selling good lenses, as I always regret it afterwards...) I do plan on getting another one. It serves as a great superlightwieght walkaround lens.

Anyways, I still have my sample shots up here. The last two are full-sized at 2.8 to demonstrate the capabilities of the lens:

http://www.pbase.com/chris_miller/24mm_samples

Chris M
http://www.imagineimagery.com

ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 6:02 PM   #9
Super Moderator

okay, so the 50 1.4 turned out to be the first on the list.. got a nice price on a used one that i could not pass up..

think i will pick up the 28 1.8 next and then the 85 1.8..

thanks to all that responded.. always much appreciated..

ChrisDM- i have checked out the 24 2.8 plenty of times before.. it really seems to be a very nice lens.. i just think for my primes i want apertures at least f1.8.. thanks for the examples.. looks like you had a nice copy..
Old Dec 5, 2005, 8:07 PM   #10

Good Choices. I have the 50mm 1.4 and I really enjoy its ability to get the shot in low light situations. The 85mm is my personal favorite. The 85mm bokeh is fantastic andmy favorite shots of my grandchildren have been taken with the 85mm followed by the 50mm. I did get the 35mm 2.0 as a "standard" lens but I have not used it much. It's noisy. I'm turning into a "primes" person.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote