Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 1, 2005, 8:42 PM   #11
Super Moderator

i am going to probably buy it used on the buy/sell on fredmiranda, or used from our local pro-store..

when i buy new equipment i usually go with b&h.. they are not always the cheapest but they have the best return service and customer service.. and i know that i am getting a new product and not a lens someone returned because it wasnt sharp enough..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 3:20 PM   #12

JohnReid: Have you found the f/4 max aperture on the Canon 17-85 to be limiting in terms of DoF in your everyday use?

On a separate note, how useful does everyone think the Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM would be as a second lens?

Canon is offering triple rebates if you get 20D with two lenses. I am wondering what would be a good choice for a second lens. (The first lens being the 17-85mm). I realize it depends on what will I be shooting. I would most likely be using it for my children, family and during travel.
ianlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 11:38 PM   #13

I agree with peripatetic and Dustin on the 28mm f/1.8, just order mine friday, and also agree with Dustin, B&H is the best way to go. I have one local pro shop in my area, and believe me they know they are the only one. My price from B&H was about $70 less than I could by it local.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 1:56 AM   #14

F4 with IS makes it possible to get usable handheld shots at 1/8th of a second, but sometimes I've wished I could get a shallower DOF. Also, using such a slow shutter speed has meant my subject is sometimes blurred because the subject has moved. ITO versatility though, this lens has few rivals.
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 9:57 PM   #15

Yah, the 17-85 IS was about $800 a while back, but I think the price on it has dropped?

I really have a problem with an F4 lens, even with the IS, just seems to be a contradiction of terms, IS and a slow lens.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 6:57 PM   #16

Lots of help here, eh? The 17-85mm is an excellent all-purpose lens. Image Stabilization is very effective, especially at the long end. HOWEVER...you mention taking pictures of the kids. IS will compensate for camera shake--NOT for subject movement. If you shoot moving objects you need a higher shutter speed.

One minor technical detail. The 1.6 is a crop factor, not a focal length multiplier. The 17-85, with the smaller sensor, has a Field of View comparable to 27-136 on a full frame 35mm. The focal length remains 17-85. Keep in mind that the EF-S lenses work only on a 1.6 crop factor camera, and specifically at this time only on the Digital Rebel, Rebel XT, and 20D.

wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 1:41 AM   #17

wburychka wrote:
Quote:
Lots of help here, eh? The 17-85mm is an excellent all-purpose lens. Image Stabilization is very effective, especially at the long end. HOWEVER...you mention taking pictures of the kids. IS will compensate for camera shake--NOT for subject movement. If you shoot moving objects you need a higher shutter speed.

One minor technical detail. The 1.6 is a crop factor, not a focal length multiplier. The 17-85, with the smaller sensor, has a Field of View comparable to 27-136 on a full frame 35mm. The focal length remains 17-85. Keep in mind that the EF-S lenses work only on a 1.6 crop factor camera, and specifically at this time only on the Digital Rebel, Rebel XT, and 20D.

Actually the 1785IS EFS is now 10D compatible

http://www.pbase.com/fstopjojo/efconv
fstopjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:59 AM   #18

fstopjojo wrote:
Quote:

What is your source of that info? I just checked the Canon website, and it still lists only the 20D and Digital Rebels as compatible. As I recall, the incompatibility with the 10D and its predecessors was due to the rear element protruding into the mirror box, with the result being a collision with the mirror when it flips up.

Has there been a recent revision? How can one tell an old 17-85 from a new one?

Anywhay, if I had a 10D and was considering a 17-85a, or whatever the updated lens is called, I think I would wait to see the 20D replacement--and specifically to see what size sensor is on that camera. Canon seems to be pushing toward full frame (presumably to make use of its excess CMOS manufacturing capacity), and the successor to the 20D will tell us whether Canon is making the EFS line into orphans. A 10D owner might not want to invest in lenses for a sensor format that Canon may abandon shortly. I own a 17-85, but I will not buy another lens made strictly for the small sensor.
wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 11:13 AM   #19

I wonder why Canon built the The 17-85mm as an F4 lens and not an F2.8 lens?

Was it to keep costs low? Size of the lens small?

I'm not sure I'd use the 17-85 for sports because of the F4 max aperture.

Unless someone has some good sports shots using this lens?

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 1:17 PM   #20

wburychka wrote:
Quote:
fstopjojo wrote:
Quote:

What is your source of that info? I just checked the Canon website, and it still lists only the 20D and Digital Rebels as compatible. As I recall, the incompatibility with the 10D and its predecessors was due to the rear element protruding into the mirror box, with the result being a collision with the mirror when it flips up.

Has there been a recent revision? How can one tell an old 17-85 from a new one?

Anywhay, if I had a 10D and was considering a 17-85a, or whatever the updated lens is called, I think I would wait to see the 20D replacement--and specifically to see what size sensor is on that camera. Canon seems to be pushing toward full frame (presumably to make use of its excess CMOS manufacturing capacity), and the successor to the 20D will tell us whether Canon is making the EFS line into orphans. A 10D owner might not want to invest in lenses for a sensor format that Canon may abandon shortly. I own a 17-85, but I will not buy another lens made strictly for the small sensor.
You need to read my link and the associated link. It explains what the conversion does: EFS to EF mount, in short. Not much to it really. It works on the 10D, period.
fstopjojo is offline   Reply With Quote