Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 1, 2005, 7:32 PM   #1

I'm looking for some help from theexperts. I have a chance to pick up a Tamron 200-400mm f/5.6 LD pretty cheap. Does anyone know anything about this lens? I believe Tamron has replaced it with a 200-500mm lens now, so I didn't find much on their website.

Thanks for the help

David
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2005, 8:49 PM   #2
Super Moderator

from all i know about this lens is that it is a consumer grade lens and is not all that great.. image quality wise it does not seem that strong..

the newer 200-500 is a pro-calibre lens and is more in the leaque with the canon 100-400 and sigma 80-400 / 50-500 optics wise..

i think you would be better off saving up for a while and picking up one of these lenses... btw i am very happy with the optics of my 80-400 OS.. and if you dont want OS and want HSM a 50-500 would fit your bill nicely too..

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 9:12 PM   #3

I guessed as much about this lens, thanks for the quick reply. the 80-400 is a very tempting one too, but still, like you I am wanting to get aprime or two first, the Tamron was just pretty cheap, and I guess cheap is a good word for it.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote