Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 2, 2005, 2:36 AM   #1

Hi everyone, I realize that this lens is not the best for landscape work, but its what I have for now.

What is the ideal aperture with this lens for landscape work. At whataperture does diffraction(hope its the correct word) show up and excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is diffraction?

Last question, how do you determine the hyperfocal distance with this lens?

JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2005, 11:01 AM   #2

The 17mm range is great for landscapes. I owned a Tokina 12-24 f/4 for a while. I used it once on a backpacking trip and I found that I liked using it at 15mm and above the best. The main problem with the 17-85 is the CA at 17mm. The 17-40 L is a great landscape lens. The ideal aperture for landscape is f/11 so that the entire scene is in focus with no or little bokeh. As for hyperfocal distance, etc. do a google search.
overclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 11:18 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Hyperfocal distance: http://www.dofmaster.com

The 17-85 is fine for landscape work.

The best aperture is f11, from f14 it starts to lose sharpness due to diffraction.

Very nice article on the subject with a calculator about mid-page.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...hotography.htm

At 17mm the DOF can be sufficiently large even at f8 or f5.6 depending on your distance to the subject.

When I'm doing landscape work I'll generally use AV mode & f11 or f8, f14 is OK but you can see a difference, f22 is noticably not sharp anymore.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 4:15 PM   #4

The best way is to find out what works for what you are shooting, As the rest said stopping down your lens too much can hurt the quailty to, but go out and experement to see what works for you. Sometimes one thing will work and other times that same thing will make your shot look like trash. So go out and play and enjoy yourself and enjoy the playback feature but dont count on it 100%.
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 4:26 PM   #5

JohnReid wrote:
Quote:
Hi everyone, I realize that this lens is not the best for landscape work, but its what I have for now.

What is the ideal aperture with this lens for landscape work. At whataperture does diffraction(hope its the correct word) show up and excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is diffraction?

Last question, how do you determine the hyperfocal distance with this lens?
John, the 17-85IS is a fantastic lens for landscapes, because it is wide with great zoom range, but most imporantly IS. IS is very, very useful when you want to maximize depth of field with a more narrow aperture, but don't have a tripod handy (as narrow apertures can slow shutter speeds to below hand-holdable levels).

And there is no "right aperture" lor landscape work. It is a creative decision as to how much depth-of-field to create (or exclude) in a scene. This creative process is much more powerful in creating image dynamics than whether or not your shot was shot at some "ideal aperture" as dictated by your lens limitations.

Or more simply put, don't choose your aperture based on your lens, but on your subject instead.

Chris M
www.imagineimagery.com
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 1:01 AM   #6

Chris, I realize the range of the lens is good for landscape work, its the sharpness and resolution that probably isn't up there with the primes or some of the L zooms.

Why I am asking about the ideal aperture is that I took shots of mountains in the background and flowers in the foreground at F22, and found even though both are in focus, the shot suffers from diffraction.

In general, landscape shots require the largest DOF possible, that is why I was asking to find out if anyoneknowsthe"sweet spot" aperture of this lens.

Thanks for the help everyone, a bit of researchhas confirmedmy suspicion that a good aperture would be between 8 and 14.
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote