Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 7, 2005, 2:25 AM   #1

I am trying to plan on which lens I am going to buy over the years rather than just blindly buy whatever looks cool and wind up with some ranges not covered.

Anyway, here is what I am thinking of. Either:

EF-S 10-22 ---> EF 17-40L ---> 70-300 sigma (already own this)

OR:

EF-S 10-22 ---> EF-S 17-85 IS USM --> 70-300 Sigma

I can't decide which route to take. Lot's of people don't like the EF-s 17-85, but after reading the reviews I don't think it will be a big deal for me. I can't afford three L lenses. I am using the EF-S 18-55 currently, so it has to be better than that.

But also, I have read that the 17-40L has a lot of CA and isn't very sharp to be an L lens. Also, if i used the 17-40L, I would have a gap from 40 to 70. I have a 50mm prime, so I don't know if it will be a big deal having a gap there or not.

Any suggestions? And please don't reccomend I get some super expensive L lenses that cost $1200 each. I am trying to keep each lens under $600 so I don't have to spend over $1500 or so.

Also, I don't know if this will have any bearing, but this will be a Christmas present and I have to do a free wedding on 12/31. So if one of these would be a lot better for a wedding, that may weigh in on the decision. Oh, and I don't mind the EF-S lenses. I have a Rebel XT and if I ever do upgrade, it will probably be to another crop body like the 20d.
crash331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2005, 2:29 AM   #2
Super Moderator

why overlap so much.. i dont see much of a need for a 17-40 with a 10-22.. a 17-85 would be a versatile choice, but also consider this..

why not

10-22 -- 24-70ish 2.8 - 70-300

can get a nice sigma 24-70 2.8or the newer 24-60 2.8.. tamron also makes a nice 28-75 2.8.. all are cheaper than the 17-40 or 17-85.. plus they are faster at 2.8.. which is going to be important at the wedding.. not to mention the better bokeh and more control over depthoffield.. these 2.8s are much better portrait/wedding lenses than the 17-somethings..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 3:41 AM   #3

a 24-70 would be nice, but the only canon lens in that range is the 2.8L. It is around $1200...way out of my range.

Can you even get a 24-70 f/2.8 for less than $1000?
Old Dec 7, 2005, 9:29 AM   #4
Super Moderator

look at the sigma 24-70 2.8EX DG Macro.. or the sigma 24-60 2.8 EX.. or the Tamron 28-75 2.8.. they are more in the 400$ price range..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 9:54 AM   #5

Of those you mentioned and others discussed here, the 17-85 will be the one that can stay on the camera longest. If you have a decent flash, and flash is allowed, it can also be the only lens you need at the free wedding.

Maybe I'm just lazy, but generally speaking, I am most likely to get a shot if I can take it with the lens that's on the camera right now. If I have to change lenses, I may (1) just skip it if not that promising or (2) miss the shot because it went away while I was changing lenses. For that reason, I favor versatile zoom ranges. The 17-85 is FF equivalent FOV of a 27-136. If you have a steady hand or mostly carry a tripod or beanbag, the Sigma or Tamron 18-200mm lenses could be good all-purpose.

Nikon has announced an 18-200mm VR in their DX line of lenses, and Canon does not allow Nikon to be on top for long, so there could be a Canon 18-200 IS or better yet 17-200 IS in development as we speak. So you could just wait a while. Shoot that free wedding with your 18-55, a very underrated lens (check May 2005 Pop Photo). Shoot with flash (580 EX suggested) at F8, and you'll have excellent pictures.

One last note on the wedding you are doing for free: No good deed goes unpunished. No bride is more demanding of the photographer than the one who is getting a freebee. Even free, you are taking on a lot of responsibility. Do you have two camera bodies and two flash units? What if your camera locks up at a crucial time? What if the flash fails? Even if you are working for free, they'll hate you for blowing it. Try to get out of that wedding!
wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 10:39 AM   #6

wburychka wrote:
Quote:

One last note on the wedding you are doing for free:* No good deed goes unpunished.* No bride is more demanding of the photographer than the one who is getting a freebee.* Even free, you are taking on a lot of responsibility.* Do you have two camera bodies and two flash units?* What if your camera locks up at a crucial time?* What if the flash fails?* Even if you are working for free, they'll hate you for blowing it.* Try to get out of that wedding!
It is for my uncle and his fiancee, who are both disabled, so I don't think I will be getting out of it. They are very tight on funds and weren't even planning on having a photographer, so I am hoping I can help.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 11:41 AM   #7

crash331 wrote:
Quote:
It is for my uncle and his fiancee, who are both disabled, so I don't think I will be getting out of it. They are very tight on funds and weren't even planning on having a photographer, so I am hoping I can help.
Yeah, the last one my wife and I did was for a poor several-times-removed niece who begged, "If you don't do it, we won't have a photographer. We'll just have disposable cameras for the guests."

If you are stuck, be sure they understand that you are in charge of the photography. People have to do what you say, stand where you tell them, and the guests must not be allowed to interfere. Be sure you go to the rehearsal, too, and get the details of all aspects understood. Best of luck with it.

Bill
Old Dec 7, 2005, 12:54 PM   #8

I've heard good things about the Tamron 28-75 2.8 XR Di. So much so that I'll be getting one after the holidays. The 50mm prime will come in handy as well, especially if inside.
The 10-22 won't help much during the wedding (a little slow for indoor use). In all honesty, the sigma probably won't help you out much either (they have their purposes, but weddings are not at the top of the list).

Looking to a long-term lens combination, I'd probably do something close to the following:
10-22 for landscape,
your sigma 70-300 for outdoor / high light telephoto
50mm prime (which you have)
Tamron 28-75 2.8 XR Di ($380 - b&h)

Eventually you might upgrade to a faster telephoto, but it's a pretty decent package to get going with.

If you're doing the wedding, rent another camera body, and a flash (talk to the priest or event planner to make sure flash is allowed during ceremony). You might also want rent a Canon 2.8 telephoto (70-200 IS USM L glass). If for no other reason then as a backup, bring extra batteries, extra memory cards, and maybe even a point and shoot camera just in case. Bill is right, they may not expect a $3000 package for free, but they will be VERY upset if they don't get any pictures because your equipment was acting up that morning or your memory card stopped working. I recommend going over to the wedding forum on fredmiranda for more info.
BrianSkibinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 7:20 PM   #9

BrianSkibinski wrote:
Quote:

You might also want rent a Canon 2.8 telephoto (70-200 IS USM L glass).

How much does it cost to rent this lens? I know to buy it, it is about $1700. I already have a flash, the Sigma EF-500 DG Super. I have an IR trigger for that too...Is it usually better to use a flash like that on-camera, though?

I definitely want to eventually replace my Sigma with a 2.8 telephoto, but those are expensive.

In your opinion if I got the 17-85 IS, would it be too slow for a wedding? I have heard that IS helps 2-3 stops, so that would help when hand holding inside. I don't think of weddings as action packed, but I am not sure if a wedding can be shot at 1/15 or something like that.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 9:11 PM   #10

My wife and I shot a wedding--she as the primary photographer with the 17-85 on a 20D, and me as backup and "color" with a 28-135 on the Rebel XT. She used a 580EX with Lumiquest Soft Box diffuser and a Stroboframe Press-T bracket to keep the flash above the lens in both horizonal and vertical modes. I used a 420EX with Lumiqust Mini softbox. We both had IS turned on all the time.

In order to minimize the "black background" effect, we shot in Manual mode with 1/30 shutter and F5.6 Aperture priority would have been better if there had been sufficient light, but this place was too dark. We shot everything with flash. I carried a second set of rechargables for each flash plus a set of alkalines for each. Later for some reception shots, I put the 420EX on a monopod and used it as a slave to the 580EX on my wife's camera.

During the rehearsal, we instructed each of the wedding party where to pause during the procession. That way we had time to get a perfect shot of each.

Just before the bride started down the aisle, my wife's flash malfunctioned. She signaled me, as I was standing nearby--just in case--and I stepped in and took over those few shots while she attended to the malfunction. Turned out to be just a loose connector on the flash cable, but had I not been there with a second camera, the giving away of the bride would have been missed.

Brian, I tell you weddings are too much stress to shoot for free. Never again!