Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 12, 2005, 6:45 AM   #1

I had a Sigma 135-400mm, it requires counterclockwize rotate in order to zoom in, but I am used to clockwise zoom, what is the merit of making lens inconsistently with person
intuitions? :?
KyoceraM400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2005, 10:36 AM   #2

KyoceraM400 wrote:
Quote:
I had a Sigma 135-400mm, it requires counterclockwize rotate in order to zoom in, but I am used to clockwise zoom, what is the merit of making lens inconsistently with person
intuitions? :?
Intuition is relative. If you started out using lenses that rotated counter-clockwise, then this way would be intuitive to you instead.

I was at first hesitant to buy a lens that didn't rotate the "Canon way", but now, my "intuitive" nature adapts instantly to whichever lens is on my camera at the time. In fact, when I shoot weddings, I'll have a mounted Canon lens slung over one shoulder and a Tamron mounted on the other, and go back and forth between the two all day without noticing. I'm sure you'll adapt too.

Chris M
www.imagineimagery.com
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 11:31 AM   #3

Kyocera..... had a Tokina 24/200 on my 300D. It drove me nuts too. Never did get used to it, plus it had excessive rotation to make things worse. Went to the Canon 70/200 L and life got better.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 7:06 PM   #4

I believe those built NORTH of the equator rotate clockwise, and those built SOUTH of the equator rotate counter-clockwise.:?:blah::shock::-):homey:

Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 5:46 AM   #5
NHL

... It depends on the camera brand too:

The Nikon lenses rotate opposite to the Canon when zooming - 3rd parties tend to pick one way (and get it 50% right) if you own Nikon bodies then you're in luck! :lol: :-) :G

-> this go for push-pull as well - pushing out to zoom-in is counter intuitive on my 100-400L IS, it drives me nut!
Older Canon FD's zoom-in when you pull the ring toward the body...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote